Humanoid Monstrosities

Humanoid Monstrosities by _Silena_

They've arranged themselves on the field. A small unit, made up of seventy or so people. Seventy or so genetically modified teens, each no more than thirty years old. And yet, they are the only hope for the world. "Commander" Percy stands in front, his hands loosely clenched; you can see the raging storm of emotions in his sea-green eyes. His eyes are trained on the departing enemy, who had come under a flag of truce.

"We're never giving up," he'd said, but they were so close. It had been a hard few years, stationed at Camp Half-Blood, one of the few remaining refugee camps for those discriminated against. Zeus, the army's commander, had ordered the Demigod Division to protect it. So here they were, in the bitter cold, protecting the camp from the Monsters. The Monsters were yet another group of genetically modified soldiers, though they were evil and bloodthirsty.

The Monsters had haunted the streets of New Manhattan long before former dictator Kronos began trying to take over. Divided into sections that happened to resemble Greek monsters, they walked the streets of New Manhattan, beating up just about anything alive.

Lately, these random attacks seemed to have stopped. Instead, reports came of the Monsters all congregating in the City Square, all seemingly listening to a single being. Kronos; it was confirmed, then. The Monsters were allied with Kronos' spirit. Everyone's hopes dropped steeply, and the chances of a comeback were practically diminished.

How ironic. Kronos was now just a revived spirit, a wonder of modern technology. From the reports, though, everyone had realized that his "host" was Luke. Luke Castellan, a former Demigod.

Weeks had passed, and Monsters were heading from everywhere in the world. They were also gathering in New LA, though most of them were in New Manhattan. They gathered in empty lots, in deserted plazas, even in old and decrepit malls.
Summer had arrived, and tension was strong, almost tangible; everyone knew something big was about to happen. The final battle was going to take place soon. The battle that determined the outcome of Earth; if the Demigods failed, the world would be lost forever.

Seventy demigods, against the odds. Seventy teenagers, people who should've matured years later. Seventy kids, with more experience and more maturity than most adults. Seventy young adults, protecting the whole world.

At the head of their small army was Commander Perseus Jackson. Determined gleam in eye, Riptide in hand, he raised his weapon and yelled, "FOR OLYMPUS!" The armies charged toward each other, yelling. Demigods and Monsters screamed, some dying and some victorious. Blood stained the roads, corpses littering the ground. Most of them were dead Monsters, but the remaining Demigods were hopelessly outnumbered. Armor was beat down, swords were swung madly, bows drawn and fired in the blink of an eye. However, even with their best efforts, the Demigod army was slowing.

With a shriek, Lieutenant Hazel was smashed against a boulder. She remained there, her broken form splayed on the rocks. Her boyfriend, Lieutenant Zhang, cried out and let his rage out on the Monsters, destroying them, an insane look in his eyes. Whenever a Monster tried to fight him, he used his shape-shifting powers to kill it. Later, he was picked up by another Giant. The Giant raised him up, then let go.

Time seemed to slow. Though he had plenty of time to turn into a bird, Lieutenant Frank Zhang plummeted to his death, a peaceful smile on his face, eyes closed. I'll be with Hazel again, he thought. With a sickening crunch, he fell onto the road, just another victim of the war.

Percy Jackson shook his head, decimating Monsters as he went. He understood. Without Hazel, Frank's life wasn't worth living. Their advantage was rapidly disappearing. Drawing on his anger and fear, Percy became a monster himself. He used his water-bending abilities to their utmost advantage, creating a deadly hurricane around him, killing any Monster that came across his path.