Chapter Twenty-Five: Get ready for a bigger shit show than the Titanic

You know those moments when you're in a situation and it feels like you're not actually there? Like you can observe everything and everyone around you but you feel like they don't actually see you? That's how I feel right now.

It was Christmas Eve and we were at my father's company's business party. My mother somehow found the energy to dress up and come out here. I couldn't tell whether she was putting on a brave face for me and my dad, or she was actually being honest when she told me she was getting better.

"Keep frowning like that and you'll get wrinkles before you're twenty." Paxton mumbled, sipping from his beer.

I sighed and looked down at my glass of champagne.

"I'm worried."

"I told you, you have to stop worrying. You weren't worried in New York."

"Well yeah, I was distracted, but I still thought about her."

"Just because your mom is sick, doesn't mean that you need to stop enjoying your life. For all you know she could very well beat this thing."

"I just feel like cancer is consuming all of our lives." I sighed.

I felt Paxton tense up next to me and I furrowed my brow, looking up at him in confusion.

"What's wrong?"

"He's here." He snarled.

"Who?"

"Chris." He growled and I felt myself tense up as well.

"I thought he didn't come to these things?" I asked, looking out into the crowd and spotting the devil himself in a navy blue suit, his hair gelled back to perfection, some slight stubble littered across his chin.

"I'm going to kill him." Paxton growled. This is the first time we've seen him in five years.

"Paxton, don't."

He looked back at me incredulously. "You're actually stopping me from ripping this prick's head off? Am I missing something?"

"Not for his sake, but because he's walking over to my parents as we speak."

My dad greeted Chris with a giant smile, giving him a firm handshake. Chris moved onto my mother, gently holding her hands as he pecked her cheeks.

How can someone who appears so innocent, be so evil?

I get that I didn't make a big deal out of what almost happened, but it doesn't mean the guy isn't a scumbag.

"If your dad calls us over I'm not going. I'll hurt him if I go there." Paxton stated.

We saw Flynn pass by and my dad grabbed him, pulling him into his side.

"One down." Paxton growled.

"Shut up." I sighed, feeling myself stress out.

My dad turned around, surveying the crowd and finally his eyes located Paxton who was towering over me.

"F.uck." We said in unison.

He eagerly waved us over and Paxton clenched his jaw and fist simultaneously as his eyes landed on Chris, who was speaking to Flynn.

Of course Flynn was being friendly, he didn't have a clue.

"Don't make go there." Paxton hissed.

"Hello, I don't want to go over either. If we don't go, they're gonna notice that something is wrong."

"Something is wrong!" Paxton said loudly, a sharp edge in his voice.

My dad continued to wave us over and I sighed, adjusting my red dress and wrapping my arm around Paxton, dragging him with me.