Chapter 16

Tris.

I sigh as I slowly shut the door of Tobias's car. A month has past since our first rendezvous, and everyday since then we've been going to Dairy Queen at night. As much as I hate to admit it, I'm actually enjoying these little trips.

Over the past weeks I've gotten to know Tobias a lot better. I mean it still sounds weird to think of how he wants to be a teacher, but I respect his decisions vastly.

Now it's officially been two months since I met Tobias, two months since camp started. I'm not ashamed to admit that I absolutely love it here.

"You know we've been going on trial dates for a while now, I'm wondering when we're going on a real date," I tease, my cheeks flushing red. Tobias laughs softly before his figure disappears completely.

The sky is a deep purple, the stars barely reigning the night. On top of the entrance booth is a large green gazebo, the inside having a blinding light blazing through the night. It's the only light source keeping me from bumping into a tree.

I can see a glimpse of Tobias's silhouette on the cement road, but it's still hard to see him. I'm not gonna risk calling his name because somebody might here us, so I just stand there.

"Where are—"

"You see," Tobias begins. "we've been going on trial dates because you haven't finalized it as a real date. I on the other hand would be honoured if we called tonight a real date." My heart hammers away in my chest, a smile flashing on my lips.

"Are you saying that our relationship depends on whether or not I finalize this?" I ask while smiling like an idiot, my mind swarming with thoughts of Tobias, even though he's with me now.

"Exactly what I'm saying."

"Then fine," I whisper, not daring to speak louder than that. "we just went on a date."

Looks like I just went on a real date.

But then I feel his hand slip in between mine, lacing our fingers together and I can't breathe. "Ready?" He asks quietly as he begins pulling me towards the entrance. For sure we're going to get caught if we walk to or cabin from the parking lot, so Tobias and I always run as fast as our legs can take us to avoid getting caught. Especially because tonight there was a car accident on the road, which created a lot of traffic resulting in us being back at camp way later than expected.

"Ready," I reply in a whisper. Next thing I know is Tobias latches onto my hand and pulls me with him as we both burst into a sprint. I should be concentrating on the way that I could run into something, yet all that crosses my mid is how my hand seems to fit perfectly in Tobias's.

The air zips past me and it feels like I'm walking on air–well running on air. I feel weightless, like everything outside of our joined hands is evaporating into nothing. Like we're the only two here and there's nothing more than that.

Tonight I had a bubble gum flavoured ice cream, and I learned way more about Tobias than usual. He wasn't born in Chicago like I thought, he was born in Boston and then his family moved to Chicago when he was three.

The ghostly figure of our hidden cabin is barely visible through the shadows crossing over it. I gasp, coming to an abrupt stop. Somebody is in our cabin.

Tobias pants up a head of me, and I force my fingers to unlatch from his. "What are you doing?" Tobias snaps quietly as I grab his arm roughly and pull us into the shadow of the closest cabin—the cabin of all the other councillors. My breaths come shakily as my back sticks like glue to the wooden panels of their cabin, my hand tight around Tobias's arm.