Chapter 19

Since Scott and I had decided we were finally going to sleep together, I've been doing my best not to worry or randomly freak out. I kept my word and didn't mention anything about it to Alyssa. I had felt bad about it at first, keeping a secret from my best friend and all, but after I went back to school I realized she happened to be keeping something from me as well.

Just the way she acted gave it away. I'd go to ask her what was up and she'd instantly pretend I hadn't even spoken. Which was very unlike her, she loves to talk. We had a free period one day at school, (Mr. Goodman had food poisoning and was home sick, yay!) So the two of us were kind of just walking around campus like many other students. It was really cold, but it was better than being in school.

"I wonder if that chick from biology really is pregnant." Alyssa said. I shrugged. "She could be, I always see her surrounded by guys." I replied. "I hope she isn't, I'll feel so bad if she is. Her life is going to be ruined." Alyssa said sadly. I felt a twinge of fear for myself. What if I got pregnant? "I don't think her life will be ruined, just put on hold for awhile." I tried to reason. Alyssa laughed. "Put on hold forever is more like it." She said and hugged her arms around her shoulders to keep warm.

"Yeah, I suppose." I mumbled. "Is there something wrong Chloe, you haven't been acting normal lately." She said, looking concerned. "I could ask you the same question actually, you've been acting pretty strange yourself." I said. She chewed on the side of her cheek and looked away from me. "Come on 'Lyss, you can tell me what's wrong." I said. She took a deep breath and looked back at me. "Will you promise not to get mad or freak or anything?" She asked, making me nervous.

"Um..." "You have to promise!" She said, a little louder. "Okay fine! I promise not to get mad or freak. Happy?" I said sarcastically. She nodded. "Alright, the reason I've been acting different is...is well, I've sort of been seeing Nathan." She admitted quietly. "Uh, what do you mean exactly about 'seeing him'?"I asked. "Going on dates and stuff, and, um, kissing too." She said and smiled sheepishly. My stomach seemed to have disappeared. It was a very unpleasant sort of feeling.

At first I wanted to scream and curse at Alyssa, but the next second I felt rather numb. They had been going on dates and...and kissing behind my back. Some friends. She had been watching my face, which I had carefully made sure it didn't show any kind of emotion. "That's...Why, why didn't you tell me?" I asked, tone less. She let out a sigh of relief, apparently thinking I wasn't mad.

"Well it was kind of Nathan's idea. He said you would probably be upset if you found out, so we've had to keep it quiet." She explained. I nodded mechically. Nathan's idea. Great. "How long has this been going on?" I asked. She seemed to think about it for a long moment before answering. "After the first football game, He hadn't asked me out, so I cornered him one afternoon and asked him out on another date." She said, then smiled.

"Wow." I muttered. "I know right? Me ask Nathan out, I have no idea where all my confidence came from that day." She said shaking her head. I felt slightly sick. "And, Nathan didn't want me to know?" I asked, the anger was starting now. Alyssa could tell. "Hey, I'm really sorry I didn't tell you. I kept feeling like the worst friend in the world for keeping it from you. But it's out in the open now." She said, her smile faltered at my expression.

"Are you mad? Oh please don't be mad!" I stared off into the parking lot feeling the anger burning a hole through me. I had felt bad for him for being alone! That jerk! I let him spend Thanksgiving with my family! He should've just spent it with Alyssa, then they could have had a wonderful little time together! Oh when I see Nathan again... "Chloe please talk to me." Alyssa pleaded. I sucked in a deep breath through my clenched teeth and glanced at her. I could tell my lack of speech was upsetting her. Not that I really cared right now.