Chapter 8

After school I dropped Benji off at my dad's house then went to mum's to change for work. As I drove to the pet store all I could think about was Nathan asking Alyssa out. Why did he ask her out? Bigger question, why do I even care? I contemplated that for a bit. I was so caught up in my thoughts that I almost ran a stop sign, causing two other cars to beep and flash obscene hand gestures in my general direction. I held my hand over my chest waiting for my heart to slow down before continuing on.

Mondays at the pet store aren't usually that busy. I started working here a few months ago basically for something to do. Mum and dad are constantly taking care of any expenses I have. A lot of divorced couples with kids are like that though. Like they try to make it up to their kids by getting them whatever they want. They bought me a car last year for a birthday present as a surprise. That was a hell of a present. I clocked in and started feeding the hamsters. Furry monsters is what they should really be called.

"Hey Chloe, anything remotely interesting happen at school?" Mark asked coming around the corner with his huge pet iguana sitting on his shoulder. Out of everyone I work with Mark is my favourite person. He turned 22 last month, has probably about a dozen different tattoos and piercings, and his hair is almost longer than mine. He keeps it pulled back in a ponytail, so it's difficult to be sure. I smiled. "Nope, how's Cookie?" I asked and pet the iguana's head. He shrugged with one shoulder, careful not to jostle the lizard too much. "Some dude wanted to buy him, I told him to leave and walked away, no way I'm ever selling Cookie." Mark said. I shook my head still smiling. "You know what Kyle's going to do if you keep bringing her to work with you." I said. Kyle is my boss, him and Mark don't usually get along. "What's he going to do? Fire me? Ha, sorry kid but I'm his best worker here, He's got a lawsuit on his hands if he let's me go." Mark said and checked the front door to see if a customer had come in.

There was a lady at the counter so he went to help her. She shuddered when she caught sight of Cookie. I dont mind the furry animals, the birds, not even the lizards, but I can not, absolutely not stand the tarantulas and snakes. I get the chills just thinking of them. Luckily we only get tarantulas on certain occasions, but we always have snakes. Ugh. I got out of work early so I decided to go visit Scott. After all that crap with Nathan today I needed to see Scott. He always has a way of making me feel better. He was on his porch playing fetch with his two dogs, Barry and Sanders, named after a football player, (cue eye roll now) They both barked happily when I stepped out of my car. I tossed their ball across the yard and watched as they ran crazily after it. Scott took my hand and pulled me next to him on the porch steps. He put his arm around my shoulder so I cuddled into his side.

"How was work?" He asked. "Just evil hamsters trying to make their escape, the usual." I replied. He chuckled. I leaned my face up and kissed him. He seemed surprised at first, but recovered and pulled me closer. My hands wove through his hair making him groan slightly. When we both pulled away for air he chuckled again. "What has gotten into you today?" He asked, repeating what he had said this morning. "Not that I mind." He added with a smile. I sighed. There was still guilt, but there was no chance of me ruining my relationship over a drunken mistake. I love Scott, He's my first love, a few minutes in a closet mean nothing compared to my feelings for him. "Well...I guess it's just that we haven't spent a lot of time together lately because of your football practice, I miss you, I love you." I explained. Truthfully, Kissing and touching Scott as much as I could made me feel better about what I did, my way of making up for it I guess. He kissed my forehead. "I love you too Chloe, and no matter what nothing, and nobody is ever going to come between us." He said. For a moment I thought that I was caught, and he was talking about Nathan, but I realized that his tone was different.

I looked up at him. "What are you talking about?" He seemed embarrassed. "Um, on Friday when you went to the party and i went to practice..." I held my breath waiting for him to continue. "Holly was there." He said quietly. A sigh of relief, he wasn't talking about Nathan...He was talking about Holly, even better. I froze. He noticed my reaction and quickly continued. "Nothing happened I swear, you were right, she wants me back." My teeth ground together. "And she just told you this?" I asked in a whisper, trying hard to control my anger. "I was so surprised that I didn't even say anything, just stood there while she talked." He said and laughed. It sounded uncomfortable. "Are you mad?" He asked, anxious now. I waited a second before answering. "Yes...But not at you." He sighed in relief. "I know you're upset, but I didn't want there to be any secrets between us." He said. "Yeah, sure." I mumbled, my turn to be uncomfortable. "Love you." He whispered after a few minutes of silence. I hugged him, wishing there really were no secrets.