Chapter 13

So I'm just going to admit it. I have a crush on Nathan, there! Damn. It's not like I can help it though. Who can really choose who they end up crushing on. Even when you are already in a relationship crushes still happen. Unfortunately. It is partly my fault. I'm the one who should have never went to that party and agreed to play a game I didn't want to. I'm the one who should have kept my distance after. I'm the one who became friends with him. And I'm the one who can't stop getting butterflies in my stomach every time we make eye contact. Damn.

Now my best friend also has a gigantic crush on him too. Sigh. This is what I think about at Alyssa's house on a Saturday afternoon. Every year the day before Halloween my school has this big party/dance. There is a special group that gets together and plans the whole thing. For some unknown reason Alyssa had forgotten that at the beginning of the year she had signed up to help. Since I'm her best friend I'm stuck helping her too. I'm trying to be a good sport about it, but this is not fun at all. She got stuck with the job of coming up with this year's theme.

We're sitting on her mom's ugly maroon sofa with Alyssa's laptop open in front of us. We have a pad of paper to write down any ideas we come across. So far the pad is blank. Ha. I'm holding her tiny Yorkie, Skip, on my leg. Alyssa scans another Halloween website and groans. "Why did I of all people get stuck with this job, I should have volunteered to do snacks, mom could've just made some. No work for me." She says. "You're creative and talented, that's why they picked you for this." I say, trying to make her feel better. "Pft yeah, I'm so creative that I came up with a whole page full of themes." She says and holds up the empty notepad. I grin at the sarcasm. "It shouldn't really be this freaken hard to come up with Halloween themes, I mean there's like a million different costumes out there." She says while shaking her head.

"Everyone could dress up as vegetables, send a secret message to the students about being healthy. Could you imagine a giant carrot, or a head of broccoli? Ha! Hmm...I wonder if they even make vegetable costumes." I say, then wonder what Scott would look like in a celery suit. Alyssa stared at me, probably wondering if I was crazy or not. "Maybe everyone could be rock stars, yes that would be perfect!" She says excitedly. "Yeah that is a good idea, but I have a feeling that the teachers would get way too paranoid about people trashing the gym, or spiking the punch." I point out. We definitely didn't need the punch getting spiked. Poor choices are made when you're drunk, like making out with the hottie that isn't your boyfriend.

She sighed and closed her laptop. "I'm drained out of ideas, because of me this year's dance is going to blow!" She yelled. Skip got scared and took off running. I laughed. The rain had finally let up, making things seem a lot better. Alyssa was still having trouble with the dance theme. Luckily she was so busy with it, that she didn't bring up Nathan as much. It made me feel much better not having her obsess about him to me. It sucks having a crush on the guy your best friend practically drools over. I hadn't spoke to Nathan in awhile, I hoped that I didn't do something to piss him off.

The school day was almost over. Alyssa and I were in gym. The dance was two days away, so she was really freaking out. "Everyone's going to hate me for ruining the dance." She was saying while we stretched. I sighed. I could see Nathan across the gym laughing and messing around with his friends. "There is still some time to get things figured out, you just need some inspiration." I said, trying to ease her panic. I was still watching Nathan. His friends had started dumping their water bottles on each other. Nathan was getting soaked. "Quit acting like Children and get ready for class!" Mr. Schwartz yelled at them.

Nathan shook the water out of his hair and pulled his wet t-shirt off, searching for a new one. I wonder if my eyes had bulged out of my head, because Nathan without a shirt is just...wow. I bit my lip as he pulled on a new dry shirt. I slowly looked away trying to remember how to breathe. I glanced at Alyssa to find that she had been watching Nathan with a kind of shocked expression. "Hey Chloe, you know how indians like never wore tops right?" She asked, a small smile forming on her face. "Um, okay." I replied, not really understanding. Now she was full on grinning. "I just found an idea for the dance...Indians!"