Chapter 16 - The End of the Beginning

ROSE'S POV-

As soon as my eyes caught sight Scorpius I ran over to him. I didn't even look at him, but whipped him around and pulled his face to mine. When I kissed him though, he seemed to stand there, not doing anything. I leaned apart from him and looked up. I let out a gasp. His normally beautiful face looked almost dead. He had thick purple bags under his eyes. His normally perfectly tousled hair hung down and looked lifeless. His face seemed rough and unshaven. His eyes, haunted and dead.

"Scorpius are you ok?" Was all I could manage. I was astonished. Something must have happened. "Can we talk later, Weasley? I really don't have time for your stupid questions right now." He replied coldly. I drew in a sharp breath. He never called me Weasley, well, only when he was joking. But he hadn't been this rude since sixth year! "No, actually, we are going to talk about this now. What happened to you?" I demanded.

"Nothing, I just realized that all my priorities were in the wrong places. I can't do this with you anymore. We're over." He answered calmly. His words hit me like a ton of bricks. "What?" I whispered. "You heard me Weasel. I never really loved you. I was just using you to get closer to specific people. We're through." He said, his face blank, voice robotic. My bottom lip began to quiver. "Scorpius you can't actually mean that! I know you love me!" I protested. "Really? Do you honestly think I could love someone related to a mudblood?" He spat.

Tears threatened to leak out of the corners of my eyes. I needed to get out my anger, my hurt, my pain. That's when I slapped him, hard. He barely even winced. The situation seemed all too familiar. It was just like our first day of seventh year. "I hate you Scorpius. Don't ever come near me or attempt to fix this, because you have officially broken me." I said with as much fire as I could muster. "Well good because the feeling is mutual. Now get out of my face and leave me the bloody hell alone." He yelled. I looked up at him, tears streaming down my face. "Ok. If that's how you feel." I said before I walked off.

I know that I sounded childish, but I couldn't think of anything harsher to say. With that, I ran to find an empty compartment. I eventually found one and curled up by the window. That's when the tears came. At first they were small, but they soon turned into loud sobs that wracked my body. I'd never felt pain like this before. There was a sickening feeling in the pit of my stomach. I wanted it to stop. People say that when you experience a broken heart it hurts. But nobody can prepare you for the pain you'll feel. I'm sure people might think I'm stupid. I'm just the girl who cries because she misses her  boyfriend right? But it's more than that. It's the person you trust and love the most. And then they're gone. And you don't even know what you did. It's an awful feeling.

I didn't hear the door open. I hardly even felt the cool arms of Albus wrap around me. I'm assuming he had heard what happened. We had been in a pretty public place. After I finally managed to stop crying I looked up to talk to him. "So I'm guessing you heard?" I asked hoarsely. "Well let's just say that you'll see Malfoy sporting a nice new black eye tomorrow." He replied. "H-h-how could he say all of that stuff!? How could he have never loved me?" I whimpered. That's when I started to cry again.

Albus pulled me into him. I knew I was soaking his clothes with tears, but I didn't care. I could literally feel my heart breaking, piece by piece. After a while, Alice must have wanderer in. "Rose, let Albus leave so I can help you change into your robes. We are almost at Hogwarts." She said carefully. I nodded, not actually thinking about the situation. I let Alice help me into my robes and then slumped back down onto the seat. I felt like all of the light inside of me had vanished.

I eventually fell asleep. I vaguely remember Albus picking me up and carrying me off the train. We must have been fairly close to Scorpius because I also remember Albus yelling at him. "You did this to her. How could you, Scorpius? You were my best friend!" I don't remember a response coming from anyone, so I assumed Alice guided Al away.