Chapter Twenty-Four: Favor Owed

Start from the beginning

"You want the couch; I want you in my bed. The answer is no," Ryland replies, confirming my suspicions. "I asked you to be reasonable about your choices."

"You're the unreasonable one," I grumble, leading the lion to sigh. After a moment, I come up with my first demand, "I know you said before that you have no intention of forcing me to...you know, but I just want to be sure. Even if you think I'm giving you some signal, you won't act on it. There will be no sex at all this week." Or ever.

Ryland nods immediately, accepting my first term without question. "Of course. What else?"

The second one is a little harder. He already cancelled out my first idea. "I need time to do my homework or it will stack up over the weekend. Don't try anything while I'm working," I say, deciding to go with something practical. He says nothing, only nodding. "Thirdly, I can leave whenever I want and not have to come back."

"Not whenever you want. If I do something you cannot handle, you have to give me twelve hours to change your mind on the matter. If I fail, you can leave," he answers. While it is not what I was looking for, it is better than I should have expected.

I choose to remain silent for the rest of the drive there. Thankfully, Ryland gives me the time I need to think. After this, I am probably done making deals. My classic black cat bad luck seems to come out whenever I make one and, sooner or later, I am going to get myself stuck in a deal that I cannot escape. Ryland and Dylan can be understanding people, but not everyone else will be.

When we pull into the apartment complex's underground parking lot, I am the first one out of the car. Ryland is quick to follow, as if concerned that I might take this chance to run, but when I head towards the elevator, his rushed pace slows to that of a satisfied cat.

In the elevator, a hand starts to creep around my shoulder and I stiffen. "Don't," I growl, and the hand slowly reverses its direction. Though, the way his hand seems to caress my arm as it leaves makes me shiver; whether it is revulsion or because his hand is too close to my tickle zone, I am not sure.

Okay, in all honesty, those aren't the only two reasons, but they are the only two I will consider while Ryland is a few inches away.

We exit the elevator and walk to his door, which is the second on the right. As he unlocks it, I remember something. "When should I get my stuff?"

Ryland waits until the door is closed behind us and locked once more before answering, "You will not need anything."

It takes a moment for what he said to make sense and when it does, it is safe to say I am not happy. "In case you didn't notice, I can't just keep wearing the same clothes every day and using the same toothbrush is disgusting."

The lion pauses, considering my words. "I will bring whatever you want, except clothes," he says. When he sees my dangerous expression, he quickly holds up his hands, "What's mine is yours."

"That's something mates do," I point out weakly, the argument lacking any real strength. From his expression, I can guess we are thinking about the same thing.

"You have worn my clothes before."

I grimace, "The first time, I didn't know and thought you just didn't want me sitting in your truck, naked. The second time was a...a lapse of judgment."

"Cade, you and I have been on two pleasant dates, we have kissed, and we have even slept in the same bed. While we are not mated, this is the definition of a relationship. Whether you accept it or not is up to you, but I know you have enjoyed my company almost as much as I enjoy yours," Ryland contends.