thirteen - 99 problems

I HAD ALWAYS thought that true friendship could overcome everything. I knew that a lot of people were meant to just go by, be a temporary friendship in a certain period of time, but then, there would always be a few that would stick around for a long, long time. I considered myself lucky enough to have crossed the path of true friendship twice.

The first time was with Harry. Although, when I first met him, I didn't know that our friendship would last so long, nor that it would evolve into a relationship. Especially when you consider that barely five minutes after meeting him for the first time, I ended up with a broken arm. Yet, as the years went on, it became clear that it would be a friendship that was meant to last.

The second time was with Wendy. With her it was a little different. The second we met we immediately clicked. We shared all the same interests, we understood each other, and for the first time since I had met Harry, I thought that I had finally made another friend for life.

But then, the second I stepped into my apartment after my date with Harry, I wasn't so sure about that statement anymore. The place felt cold, unfamiliar and the usual greeting wasn't heard. I was usually welcomed by a simple hi or hello, instead, I heard noises coming from the kitchen, dishes clinking together indicating that Wendy was either washing the dishes or putting them away. So I took out my shoes and put away my coat before slowly making my way to the kitchen.

"Hey," I said as I leaned against the doorframe.

"Hey," she replied, barely turning her head to greet me, and kept scrubbing the plates.

I took in a deep breath, and crossed my arms over my chest, nervous of what was to come. It bothered me to think that she was still upset about Harry. I couldn't really figure out why she was so angry with me for that. With everything that had happened between me and Harry, she had never reacted that strongly before. She made sure that I knew that she didn't approve, but she never got mad at me for it.

So I slowly walked towards her, hoping that we could fix this. I just couldn't stand knowing that she was mad at me, especially for this. I knew that she had never really liked him, but I thought that our friendship was important enough for her to at least pretend that she was fine with it.

"Wen?" I mumbled as I stood next to her and leaned against the counter. "Don't be mad at me," I pleaded.

She looked up, her eyes filled with culpability. "I'm not mad at you," she replied.

I scoffed and rolled my eyes. "You're not being subtle about it. I know that something is upsetting you and you've been that way since I told you about Harry and I, so obviously it has to be related."

She looked away, fixing the dish that she had been washing for the past 2 minutes. Still, I waited for her to reply.

"You've got it wrong, Emy. I'm not mad," she insisted, scrubbing even harder, making me worry that she might break the plate.

"Look, you're not fooling me," I said as I grabbed her arm so that she would just stop washing. "I know you don't think very highly of Harry, but you just have to get to know him. He's an amazing guy and he makes me happy."

"Emy, it's not that... I just," she sighed. "You know what, it's fine, don't worry about it."

She slowly yanked on her arm so that I would release her. I looked at her with wide eyes, not quite used to the fact that she was really mad at me. We had never really fought about anything before, sure we had had moments when we didn't agree on everything, but we would always easily move on from that. Although there was no yelling, this was the strongest disagreement we'd had.