Chapter Seven - Discovery

Pine trees hardly obstructed the façade of Colt's poorly-painted house from the view across the other side of the snow-dripped highway. In this corner of the small remote town, Colt had managed to hide himself from possible danger after his unconvincing testimony behind the cruiser's grievous fate. News proclaimed him suffering from post-traumatic shock which someone may easily infer from his momentary lapse in movement or sudden change of behavior, though he was totally aware it never was anything about the people's opinion towards him but more appropriately, what he accurately saw during that night. To mend things, he simply altered his reality of the tragedy so if whenever anyone would ask him about it, especially detectives and the police, he would lie instead. Definitely, he was of no lunatic but more of a paranoid . . . and a liar. Men in dark leather suits always set him in panic and he kept checking if all the doors were locked before his sleep.

And, tonight he did though he never noticed the truck parked across the other side of the street and its driver suspiciously observing the windows. Who would? The ash-haired driver thought aware of the huge sign across the truck:

HERMES ALL-TIME PEST CONTROL

KEEP DISTANCE

Garreth thought it would be better to simply interrogate him but the orders were always different. Capturing Colt might raise suspicion over the neighborhood, if there is, so timing is of importance. Matt, also wearing a Pest Control cap, kept a wary eye as Garreth pulled over the truck to a safer spot; the rest of the team waited patiently inside the truck for a signal for back-up in case Colt alarms the police or he was being kept under surveillance. He never really wanted to kill the stranger if not necessary; violence was never his passion though he was aware the General put him on the lead knowing he would do it if it meant uncovering the entire truth so that finally he would understand . . . and find all the answers to his confusion, perhaps, to compensate for the loss of his life.

Somehow, he could remember back in the days he was on his Criminology class and also the first time he took hold of a gun. There was too much contradiction against those events —those lives —which, right now, he thought, were again too unexpected to actually happen. He had lived a very happy life and probably, this was the way of life in keeping things in balance. He didn't mean he was living through hell these past few years but he merely could not believe how he ended up doing this sort of things he never thought of doing. Yet, his mind would always remind him when it all started; so then, it caused him pain once again as if his heart was rotting in pieces. Next would be that he clenched his fist breathing in the sorrow until breathing out anger. That way, he kept himself number yet stronger.

Out of darkness and silence, he thought he heard a distant crackling of gravel beneath tires from across their view so he squinted a look to the other bend on the road before Colt's house. He wasn't sure but they must have an unexpected company. Was it Colt? Wasn't he already inside the house an hour ago? Garreth and Matt decided to approach the house very carefully from behind.

"It cannot be Colt. He cannot own a car like that." Matt told him. He was right. Barely visible through the dark bushes, a glossy black Aston Martin never turned on its lights as it parked before Colt's house without a sound. There was no sign of care from around the neighborhood and that was at least what Garreth had anticipated but now, he grew slightly annoyed by the sudden presence of the visitor. Very quickly, a lean figure in black jumped out of the car; he was wearing a mask and leather tights.

"Damn, you gotta be kidding me." Matt whispered.

"We got a Dark Knight, 20 meters ahead, approaching the target area. Get ready for cover. You know what to carry with you. Sean, take the wheel and wait for my command. Over." Garreth immediately spoke over his radio alarming the team then he signaled Matt as they headed closer to the house; meanwhile, the rest of the Hunters joined them instantly.