S E V E N T E E N

"They set fire to the kingdom
and escaped from the scene with the freed spy,
leaving innocents to suffer in wrathful flames."

・ ・ ・

Pandemonium.

Explosions rocked the world and burning tendrils rose from the ground, licking at the sky. Storm staggered from the force of the blast that sent tremors through the earth, grasping Xenor's arm for support. His brother stiffened, eyes widening by a fraction as the stand they stood on shuddered.

"B-Brother, what's happening?" Storm shook his arm, eyes flashing to the sudden scene of destruction that was unfolding before them. "What's going on?"

Everything was in disarray. The masses were scrambling, running for their lives from the surrounding buildings that had suddenly exploded and caught on fire. It was a rather tumultuous escape as the people pushed and shoved each other to get away, their confused yells cacophonous and desperate.

Dark, acrid smoke clouded the heavens as the world continued to burn.

"Your Highnesses!" Silix called, and both Storm and Xenor turned to see the advisor reaching out for them. The smoke was thickening around them— Storm coughed, eyes watering, as he hurried over to Silix, dragging his brother along by the arm.

Then there was a horrible creaking noise, followed by the splintering of wood, and the stand they were on dropped to the left. The three of them tumbled at the sudden, jarring motion, arms wheeling— Storm let go of Xenor to try and steady himself, tipping forward. "Your Highnesses, please hang on!" Silix gasped, finally reaching them and gripping their hands. "The fire has spread. This stand won't last for long. You must get to safety."

The advisor tugged them down the steps, and Storm became more aware of the intense blaze surrounding them. People were still running about, lost and uncertain of where to go to seek shelter. Families were scattered— parents were searching for their children, children were crying for their parents. A makeshift store nearby collapsed into a fiery heap of wood and cloth, generating more wails and cries of terror.

"What happened...?" he repeated, his chest clenching at the carnage before them.

"A bomb," Xenor growled, wrenching his arm out of Silix's grip. "Someone placed a bomb here."

"But who would do such a thing?"

Xenor remained silent. Grim. His eyes wandered, flitting over the terrible wreckage that lay before them. When his eyelids fluttered and he recoiled from the smoke, Storm thought he saw a flash of bitter regret and sorrow in the depths of his green pools. But then he rubbed his eyes, and the sight was gone, replaced by hardened irritation and certainty.

"We need to move," his brother said, darting forward.

Silix chased after him while dragging Storm along, exclaiming, "Your Highness Xenor, please wait! It is too dangerous!" Xenor did not stop, however, tearing through the embers and the flames towards Ash, who was busy rounding up her soldiers and sending them to aid the remaining people in the area. Another structure fell with a dramatic crash— Storm turned and saw that it was the stand that they, only a few minutes ago, had been standing on.

Flames singed his skin and clothes as he ran with Silix, and he winced, jerking back. The sky had turned entirely black with the pungent smoke being produced by the roaring flames engulfing the Main Square. The air was dyed red, orange and yellow, suffocating and malodorous— there was an oppressive heat that worsened the atmosphere around them. More agonised screams and plaintive cries and desperate howls. Storm coughed again, covering his nose and mouth with his sleeve.