F O U R

"The younger brother worked hard,
and finally,
he won his first battle."

・ ・ ・

Great Guardian Spirit, I'm beat.

Storm flopped to the ground, groaning. Sweat trickled down his forehead as he lay there, enjoying the cool breeze that came in through the battle arena's doors.

Ash's figure towered over him, her face popping into his view.

"Well done, Your Highness," she said, smiling. Pulling him back to his feet, the general patted his shoulders, pride glimmering in her silver eyes. "You've grown so much over these past two years."

Storm beamed at her, and ran a hand through his hair sheepishly. "It's only because of your teachings, Ash," he murmured.

"And your own efforts," Ash added, handing him his training sword. He grabbed it, and stared at the polished surface of the blade, seeing his own reflection on it.

He clenched his fists.

Stronger.

That was how he felt now.

Stronger.

Faster.

More confident.

Storm knew that he was different from two years ago. Back then he had been a weak coward.

But now he felt braver.

I have become stronger.

He glanced at the general, who had marched off to grab a couple of towels. Ash had helped him a lot, after he had begged her to tutor him. She had been strict with him, and had made him undergo a rather strenuous training regime.

His commitment, diligence and perseverance had paid off.

"Unlike you, your brother has been... slacking off, if I do say so myself," Ash mused as she returned. She tossed him a towel. Taking it, he started wiping away the sweat drenching his body.

"He's been thinking of the future," Storm said, draping the towel over his neck as he proceeded to the armoury to return his weapon, "and reading books."

"Books?" The general raised an eyebrow incredulously. "I thought he didn't like reading books."

Storm shrugged.

"He said he needed to expand his knowledge, or something like that," he called over his shoulder. He left the armoury after putting his sword back to where it belonged, and Ash was there with her hands on her hips.

Looking rather miffed.

"Just because he wants to 'expand his knowledge'," she grumbled, "doesn't mean he can skip out on his training."

Storm gave her a wry smile.

"That's just how he is," he said quietly. "I'm going to have my lunch. Thanks for everything, Ash."

The general gave him a two-finger salute. "Of course, Your Highness."

When Storm was about to leave the battle arena, he suddenly heard a cry from the general, "Wait, Your Highness!"