Chapter 3: I Meet the Team

"Why the hell do you think I know that anyway?" I ask. " Like you said, I'm just a kid!"

       " Well you made a mistake. Phone you filmed hooded hero on, has the same cryptographic signature of some of the posts on Rising Tide." Smiley informs me smiling.

      " Oh. Wow! Yeah. My bad! " I say. "Or am I now in the middle of your secret headquarters? What is this? A plane...?" I smile at Ward, who was obviously very ticked at me. " And by now you've realized you can't beat the encryption on my files. So you got nothing." I state proudly as if this was my plan the whole time. It was not. And I had no idea how the hell to get out of this situation.

     "We have pretty strong coincidence- YOU on the scene right before the building blows up." Smiley says. "Want to tell me what my team's going to find, kid? How did you know that the hooded hero was in that building?"

    " Did you blow up the building to draw him out?" Asks Ward in a forced manner.

     I scoff at him and flick my hand telling them 'no!'.

     "Did you?" I try to cross my arms but the cuffs block me. 

    "Not our style." Says smiley.

        " Well I just got kidnapped by your style." I scoff once again. " Come on! You cover up project Pegasus in New Mexico... Of course you'd want to cover up Centipede now wouldn't you?" I try to taunt them. Maybe if I appear a big enough threat they would let me go. Maybe I could exchange information or promise I won't leak their top secret stuff... 

    The men exchange a confused look.

      Smiley smiles. "You're in way over your head... You need to think about your friend here. We're not the only people interested in guys with powers. Sure we want to contain him, and the next guy wants to exploit him... And the next guy wants to dissect him."

     "What is Centipede?" Asks Ward sternly.

      "Centipede was chatter on the web. There one day gone the next. I ended up tracing a lead to that building." I reply truthfully.

      "And what were you after?"

     " Um... The truth. What were you after?" I ask lazily, jingling my cuffs.

       Man, they are starting to dig into my skin.

     "World peace." Ward tells me harshly. " Your kind just love to stir things up. But you're never there for the fallout. People keep secrets for a reason, Skye." He taunts me saying my name.

     "You know that is my real name." Ok, not actually true... " And anyway just because you're reasonable doesn't mean you're not an evil faceless government toolbox."

     " Just give us your guy's name." Huffs Ward.

     " He isn't my 'guy"!!" I complain.

    " You do understand, that this man is in danger?" Smiley asks.

    " Then let me talk to him!" I plead. " Not t - 1000 here!" I look at Ward nervously.

    " Ward. Retrieve the-ahhh-THING please." Smily orders.

      Ward complies and stalks out of the room.

    Smiley turns to me, & I get slightly scared of what this 'thing' might be.

     "Are your parents in Rising Tide?" Smiley asks.

   "Nahhh," I say with a yawn. " They are probably dead. I never got to meet them, I was put in the foster system when I was only few months old. Don't bother looking for my records. They are wiped clean."