Chapter 4: A light in total darkness (Part 1)

Start from the beginning

“Alright” The teacher answered still sceptical. “But make it fast, and no funny business.”

Funny business? Tanner thought. What does he think I’m going do? Pee everywhere and then leave? Still Tanner kept a straight face. “Yes Sir.” He answered.

The teacher eyed him the whole time and it made Tanner incredibly uncomfortable, so he hurried to leave when he was done.  When he got back to his room, he immediately saw an envelope pinned against his window. Was that there before he left? He didn’t waste much more time thinking about it, he grabbed the note and begun reading it.

Tanner,

(See, I can be sneaky too…)

I heard about what happened at the cafeteria and I guess things got a little out of hand. I guess you got lucky that my sister suddenly had a change of heart; she doesn’t get that very often. 

So, I’m writing to you because my friends and I are casting a peace spell/sacrifice - thing, and we’re two vampires short. Cole got kicked out of the circle and Evander got stuck with some punishment at the infirmary for starting the fight. So, my sister told me to write to you because she would like you and your sister to be part of our circle. It’s supposed to make the enchantment-thing stronger or something, I don’t really know; that’s Hayden’s job. You know she can’t find anything better to do then stupid rituals? It annoys me to no end. So yeah, bring your sister and wear warm clothes, because it’s cold for you guys, right?

Aria Brooks –xxoo-

What the hell? He thought. He was going to throw the letter away, but then realised that there was something written in the back of it. With a sigh, he continued to read.

Okay, let me explain this more clearly because my sister did a pretty bad job—by the way she insisted on writing the letter, and when she sets her mind on something, I can’t do much to change it.

I’m asking you and your sister to join our circle, but only for tonight’s ritual until I can find a replacement for Cole. Having Day Walkers in a peace ritual performed by Night Walkers is always preferable if we want the enchantment to work properly; because it’s a secret to no one that our kinds hate each other; and hate and peace are rivals. Do you see where I’m getting at?

You and Maria don’t need to come if you don’t want to, but it would be preferable if you expect things at school to change. My circle is meeting at three a.m. in the center of the woods; this is an invitation, not an obligation; chose whatever you want.  - Hayden

Huh, Tanner thought, so that’s Hayden’s sister’s name. He was disappointed that it was not Hayden that had written the entire letter; because when she explained there weren’t words like thingamajig and spell/sacrifice-thing. Tanner didn’t know if the girl’s sister was trying to be funny, or was just dumb. Maybe both, he thought.      

After wondering how one of the girls got into his room without him noticing, Tanner then resumed the search for his stupid phone; he needed to call his sister. He knew that if he tried to sneak out, with his luck he’d get caught rapidly; so he was just going to have to call her. Once he finds his phone of course.

“Well, I think it’s a great idea” Maria said to him on the phone after discussing the matter. “I’ve never been to a ritual before, and it might be fun. Shit!”

“What?” Tanner asked for some reason suddenly worried.

“I got my pink nail polish all over my bed sheets…” His sister answered mumbled sadly.