CHAPTER 18

As I stared motionless at the bouquet of white roses between Jisoo's fingers, their emerald stems clipped neatly and wrapped in a crème-colored silk ribbon, the sound of Junhui's voice neared with his accompanying light, rapid footsteps. I turned my attention from the beautiful flowers to the two figures standing near me - first at Junhui, whose visage was contorted sourly in clear irritation - and then to Seungcheol, who stood unmoving with his syrupy gaze locked menacingly on Jisoo.

Junhui blinked quickly, clearing his throat gently as his thin, tan fingers latched onto Seungcheol's bare forearm. "Seungcheol," he whispered in a quiet murmur, gently shaking his arm impatiently. "What are you doing?"

The sound of a throat clearing echoed once more, but I immediately recognized the deeper sound as one from Jisoo, and when I reverted my attention back to him, the rose were lowered to his side and his eyes were fixated on my roommate.

"I thought you were leaving," he spoke up evenly, his gaze flickering between him and Seungcheol every so often. "I was hoping to have some time alone with Jeonghan."

"Oh, you can!" Junhui quickly responded, flashing him a sweet bright smile and tugging more insistently at Seungcheol's lower arm. "We'll leave you two alone, we're going no - "

"I'm not going anywhere."

The silence that followed Seungcheol's deep voice was nearly deafening, and I wasn't aware that I'd been holding my breath until a tight discomfort constricted within my chest. As I exhaled unevenly through my nose, I looked to Seungcheol's slightly taller figure standing beside me, and I was aware that the cold, hard expression on his handsome features was directed immediately at the face of my ex-boyfriend. Junhui's eyes were also locked in on his face, but undeniable shock and confusion were evident on his softer features.

As he reached up to scratch the back of his head with a free hand, a nervous laugh escaped his lips. "Seungcheol, we're going," he murmured slowly, his eyes hardening considerably. "Jeonghan needs his privacy, we can go to get something to eat - "

"Did you not hear me?" he interrupted sharply, finally turning his attention away from Jisoo and onto Junhui's bemused façade. With a slow movement, he reached over to his fingers, still latched adamantly onto his arm, and pried them off with clear inconsideration. "I'm not leaving."

I was sure that my heart was going to stop in my chest at the rate it was pounding within my ribs - and I was even more sure that I wanted it to - because in that moment I was aware of the predicament I found myself in. I was standing in my living room with my ex-boyfriend and an assortment of gorgeous white roses - the same person that had caused me to encounter the indifferent and wealthy boy situated a mere few inches from my body - and my insufferable roommate who had no clue of the messiness to come stood obliviously at his side. I was suddenly aware of the consequences of allowing the four of us to continue interacting, and decided to take a step forward towards Seungcheol's lean form.

I coughed gently at the back of my throat, and when Seungcheol's coffee-colored eyes finally locked on mine, I knew for certain my heart was going to rupture. His lazy gaze locked on mine and didn't falter for even a moment, and I found the ordinary task of just breathing to be near impossible. With a shaky intake of breath, I nodded tentatively at him, swallowing against the lump that had settled in my throat.

"You - " my words broke off as I tore my eyes from his to look down at the tops of my shoes. " - You and Junhui should go, I - " I licked at my lower lip and then let my gaze flit up to his. " - I need some time alone."

He was silent after I said this, and I was vaguely aware of Junhui's unbearably voice echoing from beside him - more than likely asking what the hell was going on - but Seungcheol's heavy gaze had me transfixed as we stared at one another. After what seemed to be an agonizing eternity, a steady exhale and a slow response escaped through his full, parted lips.