Chapter 9: The Duel

Mulai dari awal

Captain Hitsugaya saw me approach. "Why can't you listen, Rangiku?" He muttered, staring at the sky. "Whatever. You're here now so sit down," he pointed at the seat next to him.

"With pleasure captain! So tell me, are you rooting for Akira?"

He ignored me.

"It's okay captain, your secrets safe with me." I ruffled his hair affectionately, he slapped my hand away. I changed the subject. "Why would that big brute pick on a little girl?" I wondered.

"I don't think she would appreciate being called a little girl," he corrected me. "And you have it the other way around; she challenged him."

"Why on earth would she do that captain? That's pretty much career suicide if you ask me." 

"I'm not sure exactly." he shrugged. "She must have something up her sleeve. I think that's why all the captains are attending today."

"I think you're just here to see her," I teased.

His face went red. "I couldn't possibly know what you mean." he dropped the conversation. Party pooper.

To my right I saw her enter the arena. She looked different today somehow. Her cute little smile was replaced with a stern look. I followed her gaze. Captain Zaraki entered from the left. He had a cocky grin on his face. I noticed her flinch when she saw him.

"Well now, you showed up. What a surprise." he looked at her with mock humour.

"Captain Zaraki, I'm not one to be goaded by you. We are here to have a duel, that is all." that girl had guts.

"You'd better make sure you're bringing everything into this fight, I won't be holding back." he grinned.

"Are you asking me to use my bankai, Captain Zaraki?"

"If you think you can win without it, you're an idiot. Actually, forget what I just said; you're an idiot if you think you can win this at all." 

"Very well." she bowed. She walked over to Captain Kyoraku and shrugged off her haori. Why in the world was she doing that? I shivered just looking at her, it was freezing out. She glanced over toward my captain, blushed and looked away. Aha! It appeared that my captain wasn't the only one who had feelings. I needed to dig into this little nugget of gold later.

Captain Yuki handed her haori to Captain Kyoraku and he patted her on the shoulder. "Knock 'em dead kiddo." I heard him say, adding quietly, "but not really okay?"

She turned her back to us and walked back into the centre of the arena.

I looked at Captain Yukis back. "Captain, are you seeing what I'm seeing?" I looked over at him, confused.

"Yes Rangiku." he tried to hush me, "and no, I have no idea what those are from."

Captain Yuki wore a backless kosode; it exposed two very large jagged scars on her back. Below her scars was a small blade, sheathed around her waist.

She addressed Captain Zaraki. "Well now, shall we get started?" 

Captain Unohana stood up. "Very well, let us begin. Remember that I reserve the right to end the fight. As another reminder, there will be no fighting to the death," she shot a stern look at Captain Zaraki.