Act II: Falling for Vengeance

En başından başla

"Well you don't smell like a demon or a devil, so I really don't think I care whether you wanted some of my meal or not," the demon's tone was gruff and protective.

"What makes you think that I would want to deprive you of nourishment?" the figure replied with a sort of coy in his voice. "Seeing as you are already sunken in and decrepit."

"Your attire stranger," the demon replied looking him up and down. "You look like hell threw up all over you."

The figure gave a subtle smirk. "Something like that, yes," he replied.

There was a long pause as a gust of wind blew past them, blowing their hair causing their eyes met and lock of a moment before the breeze died. The demon cocked a brow seeing the hatred in his guest's eyes. The figure was unmoved by the demon's gaze and all together forgot about how blood thirsty he was.

"What did you say your name was?" the demon asked.

"I didn't," the figured replied. He took a deep breath before speaking again. "Lucius."

The demon stroked his chin inquisitively. "Lucius, Lucius, Lucius," he muttered to himself. "Nope, doesn't ring a bell."

Lucius nodded slowly, "it will soon enough."

- -

Lucius and Seganeous sat on a wooden bench beaten and weary from their travels for the past years since their city was destroyed. Their clothes were tattered and worn to lose pieces of fabric hanging about their necks and hips. Dirt and grime stained their faces, their hands, and their hair, which had grown thick and greasy over time.

Seganeous attempted to clean his glasses on his coat tail, but it only seemed to dirty them more. He sighed jeavily at the outcome and cleaned them with a cleaner piece of cloth that he drew from within a deep coat pocket.

"How much longer must we endure this, Lucius?" he asked glancing at his friend sitting beside him.

"Until we find the creature responsible and kill it," Lucius replied coolly twiddling his necklace in one hand. He ran a finger over the symbol within the metalwork, his breath calm.

"How long do you think that will take?" Seganeous asked. "Another day, a week, a month, a year even? How long, Lucius? Till you are satisfied?"

"I will search to the ends of the world and back again, as long as it takes," Lucius replied harshly, "I will find whoever is responsible for what we saw and I will be the last living being they will ever see!"

Seganeous sighed again, "then what? What will you do? Return to Reliegh and rebuild brick by brick till the city thrives once more?"

Lucius did not respond immediately. He looked down at the necklace dangling from a chain around his neck. He stared deep into it catching only a tiny burn mark that held the memories form that horrific day. Seganeous sensed the disturbance and placed a hand on Lucius' shoulder to calm him down and bring him out of the memory stream. The two remained silent but Seganeous sat back on the bench looking out over the scene.

They sat in the midst of a rather busy street outside of a bar named "The Reflective Gutter." Properly named for the large gutter that sat near the street where the drunk and rowdy were thrown out. People of all races passed by them. As they did, they made a subtle move to the other side of the road, away from the two angels sitting on the bench. Their very look and demeanor frightened them.

Lucius pulled out a small brown paper box and slid out a cigarette. Sliding it between his lips, he slid the box back into his coat. He lightly tapped the hilt of his sword, Helios, to the end and it instantly caught fire. Lucius took a drag on the cigarette before blowing the smoke out of the corners of his lips.