I Took A Pill In Ibiza

But you don't wanna be high like me, never really knowing why like me. You don't ever wanna step off that roller coaster and be all alone. You don't wanna ride the bus like this, never knowing who to trust like this. You don't wanna be stuck up on that stage singin' stuck up on that stage singing. All I know are sad songs, sad songs. Darling... all I know are sad songs, sad songs

- "I Took A Pill In Ibiza" Mike Posner

"Aiden?" Isabelle's groggy voice asked as soon as her eyes fluttered open. She put her arms around herself as she realized how cold and empty the room was.

Isabelle woke up unsure if she had dreamt of Aiden or if he had really been in the room with her. She put her hand over her mouth and felt the coldness of her lips. If he had truly been in the room with her, there was no warmth of his left to prove it.

She got out of the bed, still hazy from sleep. The room was freezing despite the fact that she was no longer in her icy wet clothes. She grabbed the pieces of paper and hastily placed them back in the yearbook. She wondered if she could find the heater and figure out how the machine worked. Heading downstairs she was startled to hear noises coming from the kitchen.

"So you are here?" Isabelle asked Aiden, who's back was facing her's. He was hunched over the kitchen sink washing dishes.

"Uh yeah, I got back a few minutes ago. I just turned on the heater so it will be a little while before it heats up in here," Aiden explained turning off the water and drying his hands. Isabelle was unsure if she should ask him whether or not he had gone upstairs while she was sleeping.

"Are you hungry?" he asked her finally turning to face her. Isabelle tried to read his expression but there was nothing there to read. He was void of any emotion other than exhaustion.

"No I'm fine, thanks," Isabelle shrugged her shoulders. Aiden gave her a small smile and nodded his head.

"In that case I'm going to bed," he replied walking past her and going up to his room. Isabelle didn't even have time to say anything to him before he had disappeared upstairs. She felt herself begin to question her sanity. She could have sworn Aiden had kissed her while she had been sleeping but it wasn't like she could just ask him.

If he did kiss her, he didn't want to talk about it. She was probably just dreaming, after all that was the only reasonable explanation. Aiden had been kind enough to help her out when she needed somewhere to stay. He only helped her because he was a genuinely good person, nothing else. The last thing she needed right now was to get attached to him.

Isabelle sat down on the black leather couch in the living room and switched on the television. It was late but after the long nap she took she couldn't fathom sleeping any time soon. Instead she allowed herself to stare blankly at the buzz of the television. She wasn't sure what show she was watching but it didn't really matter. It was a bad idea to have come back home and now she was stuck here. She owed Aiden more than she could ever repay him five lifetimes over.

As Belle stared off at the tv she felt tears beginning to fall quietly down her cheeks. She was telling herself it was from staring at the screen for so long while refusing to blink but the pain in her chest told her otherwise.

She'd never felt more alone in her whole life. She remembered what her mother had done and she wanted to hate her but she felt completely numb, cold to the touch. Belle was a failure, a drop out with nothing except thousands of dollars in student debts to pay off.

This wasn't how she was supposed to end up. She was supposed to make her family proud, return to her hometown with a smile and a life worthy of showing off to people. Instead she was sleeping on Aiden's couch sobbing by herself in the dead of night because the big bad world was too much for her to handle.

Isabelle got up from the couch and headed over to Aiden's kitchen. She shivered as her feet padded on the cold kitchen tiles. She opened the fridge and light flooded all around her like magic. She frowned as she rummaged through his fridge unable to find the beers. Aren't all guys supposed to have a pack of beers in the fridge?

She closed the fridge and stood on her tiptoes searching for the liquor cabinet, Aiden used to be a heavy drinker. There had to be a liquor cabinet down here somewhere. Finally, she found the hidden treasure, stashed far back.

Isabelle with her tiny frame and eyes cloudy with tears could barely reach up to the liquor cabinet. She wasn't even sure what she was grabbing. She just opened up a glass bottle and placed it between her lips as she took sip after sip. Her eyes burned, her throat burned.

"I'm so stupid," she smiled to herself as she twirled in circles in the cold kitchen as she clutched the cold bottle of liquor in her hand. It spilled all over the floor but she kept dancing anyways. She wanted to throw up.

Feeling ashamed she closed what was left of the unknown bottle and attempted to place it back into the liquor cabinet. In her own drunk stupor she missed the cabinet all together and the bottle fell in slow motion onto the hard floor. Glass and liquid flew, dancing, mingling on the ground as Belle was splashed with the products.

"Shit no," she mumbled helplessly getting onto her knees trying to clean up her mess. She wasn't sure if her knees were wet with liquor or blood but she kept trying to pick up the broken pieces.

"Belle, why?" she heard a voice whisper as a blanket was placed around her. Aiden lifted her off the ground and away from her mess. Belle was left on the couch for a bit, confused and tired. She could hear Aiden in the kitchen doing something but she didn't understand why he was up so late. She curled herself up in the warm blanket instead.

"Belle, promise me you won't do that again," she heard Aiden say as he sat next to her on the couch.

"I made a mess, I think," Belle shuddered.

"Trust me, alcohol only makes you feel more alone. The only thing you'll have is a hang over. I don't really know what's wrong with you but trust me, you don't want to go down this road. It took me a long time to recover," he told her removing the blankets to check on her legs, much to her complaints of being exposed to the cold.

"Why did you drink? You're famous," Belle laughed. She was still drunk. She wouldn't remember this, which was probably why Aiden was telling her this anyways.

"I drank, I got high, I got wasted because of you. I was broken for a long time Belle. But it didn't fix anything. All I got out of it were a bunch of sad songs," he shrugged his shoulders.

"Because of me?" Belle slurred reaching up to touch his face.

"Yes, because you let me go," he told her removing her hand from his face. However he didn't let go of her hand all together.

"Belle, why did you let me go?" he asked her quietly, clearly not expecting a real response from the half asleep drunken girl who broke his heart years ago.

"I let you go because I couldn't let go of my insecurities. You hurt me too much," Belle replied looking up at Aiden with a smile before finally putting her head down on the couch, asleep.

Aiden, still holding onto her hand, bent down and kissed her forehead. She wouldn't remember any of this in the morning, he thought to himself as he placed a couple of painkillers and a water bottle on the coffee table in front of the couch.