Secrets

Got no reason, got no shame. Got no family I can blame just don't let me disappear I'm going to tell you everything. I'm going to give all my secrets away

-"Secrets" One Republic

She fished out her old ghost of a spare key from her pocket with her half frozen fingers. She hoped her parents had the heater on inside the house considering how cold it was outside.

As she put in the key and tried to unlock the door she realized that the door didn't unlock meaning they must've changed the locks to the house sometime while she was gone. Isabelle sighed and put the now useless key back into her pocket. Shivering, she rang the doorbell and hoped that at least the doorbell still worked.

A few seconds later, the door is swung open and an aroma of food hits her in the face welcoming her in. Catherine, her mother, had an apron on and her hair is tied back in a tight bun but a few strands of blonde hair manage to sneak away and fall onto her face.

"Isabelle, y-you're home?" she smiles at her daughter but she clearly looks shocked.

"Yeah I decided to come home and surprise you and dad," Isabelle smiles back at her and goes into the house with he luggage.

"Well what a surprise, really. I never thought you'd come home! Your dad isn't here though," Catherine hugs her daughter somewhat stiffly before quickly closing the door.

"Oh then why are you making dinner?" Isabelle asks looking at the dining room  table. It was uncharacteristically set up for a fancy style dinner. It was also kind of odd of Catherine to be making such a fancy dinner to begin with.

"Lilly was going to come over and have some dinner with me, I haven't talked to her in a while," her mom explained heading back to the kitchen to check up on something.

"What about dad, where is he?" Isabelle asked taking off her coat and wet shoes.

"Uncle Drew got sick so your dad went down to Cincinnati to make sure everything was ok. He should be coming back home in a few days though, he'll be really happy to see you," Catherine responded from the kitchen.

"I should probably go upstairs to unpack then," Isabelle told her as she walked past the kitchen and back up towards her old room.

Other than being a bit dusty the room was pretty much the way she remembered it. The bed was right under the large window facing the family's back yard and her closet was pretty much empty since she  took most of her clothes with her when she moved to California. The rest of the furniture was also gone save for an old bookshelf with her typewriter and books on it.

The wall behind it was painted with this special chalkboard paint so that Isabelle could write and draw on the walls. The day before she had left for college everyone wrote something special for her on the wall and Isabelle was surprised to still see all of the messages there.

"Sweetie are you coming down to eat?" she heard Catherine yell from downstairs. Unpacking would have to wait for later.

"Where's my extra plate?" Isabelle asked her mom since there were only two plates set on the table.

"Don't worry I called Lilly to tell her we'll just hang out some other time," she explained and Isabelle took a seat across from her nodding her head.

"So how's school? How's my little lawyer been? You're almost going to graduate I'm so excited!" Catherine gushed as they begin placing food on their plates. Isabelle remained quiet as her mother continued to ramble on excitedly. 

"Mom, I have to tell you something," Isabelle began cautiously as she scooped some of the fresh mashed potatoes off her plate.

"Isabelle are you pregnant?" Catherine deadpanned and Isabelle choked on her food.