Nina

People grow and fall apart but you can mend your broken heart

-"Nina" Ed Sheeran

She ran. And then when she got tired she ran faster. Isabelle ran too fast for her breath to catch up with her legs. Her chest was ready to burst but she kept going. The beat of her heart was so hard that it numbed the pain of the snow biting at her feet. She could've been running across a desert for all it mattered.

She was blindly running away from her problems but going back wasn't an option. If she so much as looked behind, she would collapse right here in the snow and wouldn't have the heart to get back up.

She knew she was overreacting but the shock had hit her like a wave. She had been facing the beach instead of the horizon and when the wave smacked her back it pulled her down into the freezing ocean before she had a chance to move.

Now Isabelle was somewhere beneath the inky murkiness of the water but couldn't find the surface anywhere.

The cold wind was biting and scratching at her face mercilessly. Her feet felt like they were stepping on broken shards of glass but she didn't stop. Isabelle couldn't stop until she felt like she could breathe once more but she didn't know if she'd ever catch my breath again.

The snow was beginning to fall lightly over her head. She saw the clearing of the familiar woods near her home up ahead and kept going.

She was getting closer and closer when suddenly, out of nowhere a car sped towards her. She tried to stop but only managed to slip on the snow. Isabelle closed her eyes waiting for impact. When she realized that nothing came, she looked up to see the car had stopped mere inches in front of her.

Isabelle stood up in front of the car, unable to move or see who the driver was. Her breathing was coming out in ragged and short breaths as she came to realization that she could've just killed herself by being so careless.

"Belle? Belle is that you? Oh my god what are you doing here?" Isabelle's head snapped up as she heard the car door open followed by someone's voice. Footsteps ran towards her and she was lifted up from the cold snowy ground. Confused, she looked up to see the person who emerged from the car.

"Who are you?" she asked squinting her eyes through the falling snow.

"Its me, Aiden," the voice responded looking down at Isabelle with a look of concern.

"Aiden?" she asks beginning to back up, attempting to get as far from him as possible.

"Why the hell did you run across the street like that? I could've killed you," he told her taking shaky breaths. He wasn't sure what surprised him more, seeing Isabelle again after nearly three years or seeing her running in her pajamas in the snow.

"Sorry I w-wasn't looking where I was going," Isabelle responded with lack of a better excuse. She didn't meet his gaze and instead looked around for one of her shoes that had fallen off when she fell. 

"Are you ok? Do you want me to take you home?" Aiden asked looking down at her and her flushed cheeks. As hard as he tried, he could not think of a single reason as to how she got herself into this mess.

"No!" Isabelle responded immediately. Aiden raised an eyebrow at her, taken aback by her reaction.

"It's cold out here though. You don't want to get sick do you?" he asked her with a small smile. He knew he should just leave her alone. Taking care of Isabelle wasn't his problem anymore but he couldn't help it. Everybody needed somebody.

"I just want to walk ok? I don't want to go home," Isabelle replied as she puts on her shoe carefully back on. Aiden nodded his head and remained quiet for a few seconds.