Chapter 44

Agneta stood inside one of the rooms within the keep with Brawn just behind her. He had won the challenge, knocking Rowan with his claymore in the first round. She was relieved but still recovering from the shock of having witness the presence of Ross Macalister. She almost did not recognize him for his hair had grown longer and had darkened over the years. His face had been covered in blood and grime. What surprised her the most was his allegiance to the Hawk.
When she had know Ross all those years ago he had been a decent man, full of honor but as she was dragged away by her champion she witnessed her old love claim one of the women in a lascivious grip. What was he now she wondered, more like a savage and there was hardly any form of honor in him.
"It was foolish of ya tah speak yer mind, ye should have kept yer mouth shut."
The voice of the man who won her grated in her ears bringing her back to her present circumstances. Now she had to face him but she was damned if she would not fight him tooth and nail!
"Tis no concern of yers what I did!" She replied tartly not turning to look at him.
"Yer lucky he did not cut ye down where ye stood. "He whispered in her ear
She was revolted by his nearness, wrapping her arms about her she stepped away from him, displaying her revulsion praying silently that he would be too tired to try anything with her that night. Despite her gnawing fear she put up a front of bravery which was about to shatter any time soon.
"Yer leader is mad" she whispered taking the risk to speak her mind. She was past coherent thought.
"Then ye should mind yer mouth when he is about fer he is"
Surprised at Brawn's admittance she turned slightly only to find he had began to undress walking toward the basin of water, he splashed his face and took a cloth to wipe himself. He yawned loudly turning his gaze to her briefly as he sat on the bed and began to remove his boots.
"Where are the others?" He asked casually as he started to remove his gauntlet.
"Wh...what others?" She asked feigning confusion she was concentrating on his actions hoping to find a vulnerability that would afford her escape from his clutches.
"The children" he leaned back on his elbows eyeing her curiously.
She had almost forgotten about them until that moment "what children?" She pretended to be ignorant of his question.
"Your bodice has been soaking fer sometime, from the looks of it ye've had a bairn. Ye had a cradle in yer room and if ye think I hadn't noticed then yer a fool. I notice everything."his voice held a threat.
Agneta turned crimson shirking under his penetrating gaze "I doona ken what yer talking about. There is no bairn here and ye ferget I was in the dungeon fer some time. Tis damp down there." She replied skillfully covering her chest with her arms.
He looked at her for a long moment before shrugging his shoulders "Suit yerself. I would like tah catch my sleep, you can make a pallet fer yerself on the floor if ye wish. I willna claim my prize this night." He yawned again pushing himself up against the bed. "Leave the candles on will ye, I prefer tah sleep with the light."
"What of Willa and Moira?" She dared to ask, relieved that her prayers had been answered.
"I wouldna ken or care but tah ease yer mind, the Hawk seems tah be rather fond of that lady Willa, she will be treated fairly as with the other one."
Agneta was shaken by his sudden retreat, releasing a sigh she walked toward the hearth and lay on the floor, praying silently that this would all soon be over. Her thoughts drifted to the children and Hildred before they thought of Tristan and Angus. Tears slipped down her cheeks as she worried for all of them before exhaustion took over and she fell asleep.
She came awake with a start as she felt someone shake her. Her head almost hitting her captor's chin as she got up abruptly. He moved away immediately as she sat up. She noticed he was dressed and his face had been cleaned. He looked different in the light, his features seemed familiar but she could not place where she had seen him. He gave her a lopsided grin, his demeanor less menacing than the previous night.
"Tis light, " he said scrunching his nose "ye had best clean up, yer gown is filthy. I shall send someone tah help ye dress." He stood from the floor.
Suddenly everything came flooding back as she gained awareness "How can ye say that when ye killed everyone"she replied in a forlorn voice
"Not everyone. Most of the warriors are locked in the garrison with some of the servants, others have been kept in the dungeon."he said.
Picking herself up from the floor she touched her face "My brother was among the wariors" she stated flatly.
"Yer brother?" He frowned his expression shuttered .
She bit her lip, regretting what she had revealed when she saw him stand in attention.
"Tarry not, someone comes. We have tah make it look like something has happened between us. Get to the bed and start jumping" he pushed her toward the bed.
Agneta had no choice but to follow his order. She hopped on to the bed and stood there.
"Now jump and scream as loud as ye can!"
She started to do as he said shaking her head in confusion when they both heard the loud banging on the door.
"Who goes there!" He bellowed turning slightly to the door, his hand immediately going to his sword.
A muffled voice came through the room. He made for her and pulled her arms making her scream louder, trying to beat at his hands. What the devil was he doing?
He looked at her in a funny way and before she could stop him, he tore at her bodice before pushing her down on the bed and covering her with the sheets.
"Stay down" he whispered to her as he mussed his hair and pulled at his shirt.  He went to the door and opened it. From what Agneta could see, there were two men just outside the door. They peered in the room and snickered as they saw her disheveled state on the bed. She pulled the covers up to her neck.
"Had a busy night of it Brawn?" One of them leered.
"Aye, rather feisty she is" he turned to look at her giving her a wolffish grin before turning back to the men "tell the Hawk, I shall be right there." He slammed the door and bolted it before giving her his full attention.
"Tis best they think something happened here" he said picking up his sword from the chair "I will send someone tah be with ye shortly." He nodded his head and left.
Speechless she could only stare at the door before she ran to it and bolted it. She sat on the chair and waited until she heard Willa's voice. As soon as she opend the door, they held each other tears streaming down her their cheeks. Moira was with her and the three of them remained holding each other until another knock signaled another servant. They had brought fresh water and some food for the three women as well as a fresh gown for Agneta. Moira was no longer in a state of shock, she seemed to have recovered from the events of the previous night for she started to help Agneta wash and dress.
"I was worried fer ye Agneta" Willa began "what did that brute do tah ye?"
Agneta looked at Willa "nothing I couldna handle. What of ye Willa, how did ye fair?"
"The Hawk put me in one of the rooms with. Moira. I had been unharmed. He did say that he had not killed all the wariors,"
"Aye, Brawn had said that they were locked in the garrison" Agneta replied. "We have hope Willa, we have tah find Angus and Tristan fer I fear Bram is no longer with us."
Willa raised her brow, wondering at Agneta's familiarity with her captor but she said nothing. "I only hope Hildred and the children have found safety."
"Aye," Agneta whispered as Moira braided her hair. She tried not to think about the rest of the day and what would become of them, instead her thoughts drifted to the fallen Bram. Tears gathered in her eyes but she tried to suppress them as she remembered his kindness and the music that came from his fiddle as he played her songs. She would miss him terribly.
"Oh Agneta, " Willa chocked back a sob "The Hawk, he....." She paused shaking her head
Agneta went to Willa and held her "What is it Willa?"
"He told me things last eve, about Morvane"Hildred began "He knew her all those years past before she had wed Ian. This whole raid, Tis about his vendetta toward Ian. It was him that had been raiding Nairn since last year, 'twas why Ian couldna find the culprit. He gloated over it, telling me that he had enjoyed fooling Ian."
Agneta 's heart started to hammer in her chest as she listened to Willa how she wished her husband was with them at that moment but at the same time she worried for his safety. She was curious about the vendetta.
"What else did he say?" Agneta prodded when they heard a loud knock on the door. Willa glanced worriedly at Agneta before opening the door. It was Ross Macalister.
Agneta stood from the chair and faced him as he walked toward her.
"The Hawk demands yer presence , follow me" he said abruptly his expression shuttered.
The three women followed Ross to the solar. they found the hawk seated on. Ian's chair caressing one of the skulls on his neck.
"Good morn ladies" he gave them a cold smile his eyes sharp and calculating as they rested on Agneta. "I trust ye had a good rest" he was being polite.
"Aye, that we did and we thank ye fer yer kindness" Willa replied sweetly.
"Lady MacTaggart, ye mentioned the brewing of ale last eve. It would be remiss of me to deny ye yer daily chore. My men shall escort ye te yer task, the lady Willa and her maid shall assist ye of course. "
"That is generous of ye my lord" Agneta demurred remembering what. Brawn had told her about the Hawk. His brutality was evident in the menacing gleam in his eye turning away from his gaze she clasped her hands in front of her in a show of meekness.
"That's good then. Macalister see te the ladies" he barked.
As soon as the ladies left he waited briefly until Brawn appeared.
"How many?" The hawk asked .
"Over fourth five in the garrison and we locked in another forty in the dungeon." Brawn replied easily as he stood in front of the hawk.
"What of the village, have the men secured their allegiance?"
"Aye. We've put them te the fields tah gather food." He paused before continuing "We should release some of the servants"
"Do ye think that would be wise?"
"The men need tah secure the rest of the lands."
"Have ye sent the men I asked fer the ambush" the Hawk narrowed his gaze at his second in command.
"They have just departed my lord, they should at their destination by sundown."
"Good! "The hawk clapped his hands "All is as it should be. Have ye found the man ?"
"The one with the scar my lord?"brawn asked
"Aye, that would be him"
"Nay, he wasna among the wounded or the lads in the garrison."
"Strange" the hawk frowned "Unless he had accompanied the MacTaggart.  Are ye pleased with yer prize?" The hawk leered.
Brawn shrugged his shoulders "She suits her purpose"
The Hawk released a guttural laugh while Brawn smirked.