Chapter 6 Temptation

Robert walked into the stables to check on his stallion.  The image of Sarah MacInnes remained in this thoughts making him almost miss the stall. Sweet mother but the lass was bonnie, he thought as he neared his stallion, holding out a hand to caress the horses's muzzle. All throughout the nooning meal he couldn't stop staring at the vision she presented, dressed in blue to match her eyes, she had a face as delicate as a rose.
For the very first time in his entire life he was completely smitten and by a lass still so young to his score and two. He had stollen many glances while the rest of the family were busy speaking and what chatter! Thankfully he was spared from having to speak too much. She had remained silent but he had caught her looking his way several times that was a start.  Perhaps he would entice her to walk with him later that evening, if he could without the rest of the MacInnes breathing down his neck. Aye that was a plan.
As he pulled his horse Thor for out for a brief run he caught a glimpse of a familiar face rubbing down a horse in the next stall.  He wore the MacTaggart plaid and recognition set in.
"Ian MacTaggart!" Robert called to the man.
Ian stood up to encounter Robert Menzies looking at him with a broad grin.  He back away into the stall and stared dumbfounded, now he was truly in trouble as Robert approached.
"I thought never to see the day!" Robert continued.
"Shhh!" Ian beckoned to Robert to follow him into a quiet corner of the stall, looking about him to make sure there was no one about to hear them.
"Why the hush?" Robert Raised his brow
"Nobody kens I am he" Ian replied in a harsh whisper making Robert's brows rise.
"What do you mean nobody kens?"
"Keep your voice down in case someone is lurking. "
"Wha...."
Robert was pulled and pushed against the wall while Ian looked about him to make sure they were alone.
"What's going on mon?"
"No one kens I am Ian I had my brother Liam take my place" Ian whispered looking into the annoyed face of Robert who tried to push him aside.
"This is suppose to be your wedding feast and you made your brother take your place?!" Robert started to laugh "A re you daft mon!"
"I canna marry the MacInnes lass, I am hand fasted to Morvane Macginty" Ian continued his eyes were fierce as he looked at the Menzies heir.
Realization dawned on Roberts face as he narrowed his eyes and stared at Ian "So you made your brother take your place" Robert's voice turned serious.
"Aye!"
"And how has that worked for you so far?!" Robert's question had a hint of sarcasm as he looked at his friends face.  They had fostered together with the Munro and Sutherland clans, some years back and his memory of Ian was of a quiet lad but deadly with a sword and quite swift with a claymore.  How many times had they spared with either one of them refusing to back down. Now the fierce some warrior was pretending to not be himself. That was daft!
"Terribly if you must know"Ian released Menzies from his hold and backed away a few paces looking back at the horse who sensed the tension and started to fret.  He spoke calming words to the stallion to make it cease it movements.
"I should hope so.  How long before the MacInnes Lass kens the deceit?"
"She kens" Ian replied quietly.
"Your lucky you still have that head of yours on your shoulder. If I were the lass I would have your head served on a plate"Robert shook his head.
"Speak softly someone might hear."Ian warned.
"Have you told your da that you wouldna go through with the marriage?"
"Nay."
"Why ever not?!"Robert hissed.
"There wasna time.  When I returned from the Sutherland he told me to high tail for the MacInnes. He hasna been well and he wants me wed as soon as possible." Ian continued softly.
"You couldha told him ye are hand fasted, I'm sure he wouldna mind as long as you were wed." Robert shrugged.
"It's not that simple, me da betroth us when the lass was a bairn. Tis a warior's promise made during battle, he canna rescind."Ian replied forlornly.
"Ah!" Robert had an understanding of the predicament and it was dire "Tis the hardest to break when a mon promises his lad to another mon's bairn.  But to use your brother like that? How long do you think it will take the MacInnes to discover the daughter will be marrying the wrong brother."
"They would not wed if I can help it.  I must prevent it from happening" Ian's determination laced through his voice as he spoke true.
Robert walked to the foot of the stall and turned back to his friend "Perhaps if you join the festivities later and have some of their legendary mead things might look better."
"How do you ken?"Ian's shoulders were slumped in defeat making Robert roar with laughter.
"God's bollocks, I never thought to see the day Ian MacTaggart would be defeated and by his own hand!" Robert walked away"Come tonight, nobody knows who ya really are, mayhap things will turn for the better" with that. Robert left the stables pausing to catch the reins of his stallion.
Ian shook his head, of all the rotten luck, he had to be recognized?! What a disaster!