Chapter 39 Changes

Ian held his son proudly to the people gathered about the hall proclaiming his heir.
There was much cheering as the clan welcomed the of the MacTaggart lineage. Ian held out his son to his brother who laughed congratulating his brother on the latest addition to their family.
"He looks exactly like ye Ian, he even has yer scowl" Liam teased.
Ian ignored his brother's barb, he was elated to finally have a son of his own. His thoughts were full of plans for the little bairn, that he failed to notice Elizabeth's crestfallen face. She slipped silently away from the crowd and walked to her room, refusing her aunt Willa's invitation to break her fast. Lying on her bed she burried herself under the covers for she surmised that her day would never be special again.
Ian took his son back to his wife's chambers silently depositing the sleeping bairn into the cradle he had used since he was an infant. All his children made use of this cradle, it was a sentimental reminder of his own early life. He sat quietly on the chair watching his son sleep peacefully, tears gathering in his eyes as he looked at the tiny life that represented qthe future of the clan.
"My tiny little lad, muirneach, as you sleep and dream your dreams ken that I shall be here fer as long as a I can tah protect ye, yer mother and yer sisters. Ye are the future of this clan ye ken. I almost lost hope in......" His voice caught as he struggled with his emotions "I never expected this gift and fer this ..... Fer ye I owe yer mother my deepest gratitude. Had I not thrown caution tah the wind and brought her back tah Nairn ye would never be here."
"And had I not acquiesced and run off like I had planned then ye wouldna have not thrown caution te the wind atall" Agneta sat on the bed against her pillows, her hair had been tied back to expose her glowing face. She had been cleaned and dressed, the bloodied sheets and been removed and replaced with fresh clean ones.
"Bring him tah me" she smiled radiantly missing his soft baby scent. Her belly felt empty without the bairn, strange that she would miss its absence when she had been waiting for the moment she would be free from carrying him in her womb.
Picking up the bairn from the cradle Ian walked to the bed and placed the sleeping little boy in his mother 's arms. The baby moved waking slowly from his slumber, he rolled his eyes about and yawned before slipping back into sleep.
"He's so tiny and beautiful." She exclaimed in awe . This was her son, feeling the warmth of love flood through her every pore as she gazed into his sleeping form.
"I would rather ye say Handsome, Tis a more manly description."Ian teased "Do ye blame me still fer all of this" he sat beside her wrapping an arm around her shoulder.
Grimacing with distaste she pushed away from him pushing at his chest "Ye need tah wash Ian, ye smell liKe horse sweat"
He chuckled good-naturedly "Tis summer ionmhainn the smell of unwashed bodies should not be so repugnant."
He called her beloved, there it was another endearment that seemed to slip so easily from his lips lately she found herself suddenly at a loss for words. With her heart beating fast and the familiar tingle of anticipation racing through her body she looked into his face and saw the tenderness in his eyes as he watch her hold their bairn in her arms . If her body did not still ache so she would have thrown herself into his arms and kissed him ceaselessly for the love she felt for him was starting to overflow.
"What?" He asked his grin widening as he caught her staring into his face her own expression unfathomable. If he could dissect her mind and per into her thoughts she would cease to puzzle him for she had become a amass of conflicted emotions in the months she had carried his son. There was a restlessness about her and a wistful look in her eye when he would catch her gazing at him then she would dismiss her behavior and proclaim them to be nerves.
"Ye need tah wash" she repeated thoughtfully.
Ian smelled his armpit and grimaced "Aye fer the sake of my son, and as an afterthought, to consider the delicacies of his mother I believe I will" he kissed her briefly on the lips before standing up.
"And go to Elizabeth, it was her special day last eve, she needs tah be with ye."Agneta reminded thinking on the nature of her step daughter.
"I could bring her here and...."
"Ye daft man, she needs tah be with ye alone. Ye left her last eve tah be with me but now ye must not forget ye have a daughter that may not understand what has happened te her day as easily as Mairi or Fiona , ye ken Ian" Agneta stated, her mouth set in a firm line.
Ian raised a brow at her words "Daft am I? Do ye think I've been ignoring my lassie?"
"Nay I didna meant it that way. Elizabeth is a sensitive lassie, she's seen to many changes happening in her life this past year and now with Charles in yer life ye need tah make her understand that she's just as important tah ye as he is."
Realization dawned on Ian at the wisdom of her words, trust Agneta and her selfless soul. "I ken what ye mean. I never forgot her special day and I have a surprise fer her. I told Liam...."
"Ye have tah give it tah her yerself" the baby started fretting in her arms distracting her attention. "I think he's hungry"
Ian flashed a lopsided grin "as much as I would like tah spend the day with ye and little Charles Ian, ye have the right of it. I shall spend time with her today. Ye doona mind it?"
"Go!" She ordered laughing as he left her room. Agneta sighed as her baby suckled her breast greedily when Tristan and Mairi entered her chambers with Moira.
"There's the little lad and a greedy one too by the way he grabs at ye" Tristan sat on the chair nearest the cradle while Mairi hopped on the bed and kissed her mam's cheek and Moira started to lay food on the table.
"Aunt Hildred said ye must eat as much as yea can mam and she told me tah make sure ye finished every bite on yer plate."
Agneta snorted "aye, she would make sure of that. Where are Elizabeth and Fiona? "
"Fiona is with aunt Willa and Lizzy is in the room."
Agneta expected as much from Elizabeth having witnessed in her own family the dangers of sibling rivalry. Mairi and Elizabeth still argued like magpies even if it was for something so trivial such as a ribbon. Fiona on the other hand was as pure as an angel, she had taken to Mairi so easily the two had almost always united against Elizabeth's tantrums.
"Then ye can stay with me and Charles Ian fer the day would ye like that luv?"
"Aye mam I would" Mairi's bright smile always made Agneta's heart melt for the lassie was truly a gift from God. Her first born, the child that would forever have that special place in her heart.
"Tristan I hope yer not planning on leaving soon" Agneta turned to her brother who was watching them idly.
"I was hoping tah leave Agneta, now that the bairn has come and I see how much. Ian takes care of ye my task is done." He announced
"Nay Tristan, I still have need of ye here by my side" she protested . Tristan's arrival may have been due to sad tidings but his presence in her life at that moment gave her a piece of her home and a part of her family she had missed terribly. The thought of his departure was too dismal a thought.
"Agneta, of what use am I here at the keep? I have my own home tah watch and my own bed that I miss"
Tears gathered in Agneta's eyes "have I not made ye feel comfortable here at Nairn" her sudden agitation made the baby in her arms restless that he suddenly began to cry.
"Stop sister! Ye ken I have no liking fer women's tears" he replied embarrassed by her sudden outburst.
"Then doona leave Uncle Tristan, please" Mairi turned her innocent face forward her uncle.
Raising his eyes heaven ward he cursed under his breath "Lord save me from nagging women and lassies." He grinned walking toward his sister lifting the baby into his arms. It was a surprise to see Charles Ian suddenly cease his fretting reaching out his hands he started grasping at Tristan. "He does have his father's scowl."
Agneta wiped the tears from her cheeks and hugged her daughter to her.
...............................................................
Ian had done as his wife suggested, as soon as he had washed he had gone to Elizabeth  and took her to the stables where she was presented with a gelding. The priceless smile was enough to warm her father's heart as his oldest and dearly beloved lassie mounted her horse and they went riding together that morning.
It had been a long while since he had felt this sense of completeness and he owed it to his new wife. He had come to realize in the months they spent expecting their bairn how dear she had become to him. The thought of her filled him with renewed vigor and hope that once again he had a family to come home to.
Spending time with his daughter was indeed a balm for they had talked about many things. He came to realize that she was growing and as he looked into her young face, he noticed the stark resemblance to her mother. He could only hope that he could give to her what he had denied his first wife...time.
A walk away from Where Ian and Elizabeth tethered their horses, Willa sat beside Fiona as they continued to weed the garden which Agneta had painstakingly built with Angus and Guy. They were joined by a few servants and boys were trimming the grass and tending to the blooms.
The garden was coming to life having been divided into four patches, each patch had its own design . The largest one had been planted with herbs and be tables while the remaining three were riddled with colorful blooms. But, as much as Willa wanted to help she was useless with anything that grew.
Ian's land had seemed to thrive with reinforcements arriving from the Menzies and MacTaggart. The village was busy clearing the land for planting while the keep had finally restored its Garisson but the building did not stop there. Angus was kept busy with the additional quarters that had to be built for the men. Everyone in awhile he would stop by the garden and continue to administer to its design with the help of Guy.
Upon her return, Willa had thought Guy would have departed, her surprise at his presence hung about her like a dark cloud. Still she had reason to come sooner than expected especially after recieving the invitation from Agneta to help at the keep. She was glad she could be there for Hildred and Agneta, most especially the children. She enjoyed the time she spent teaching them their lessons. It was a blessing for her to have the knowledge that most lasses would not have been awarded. Being her parent's only child helped make that a reality. Although her mother still despaired of of lack of husband her father seemed unconcerned unless provoked by her mother.
Life at her own demense had become dull compared to the sudden upheaval at Nairn owed completely to its mistress. Agneta, she realized had brought so much life into this once hopeless land and she could sense from Ian a deep affection had grown in him for his new wife.
"Aunt Willa?"
Willa turned to the young voice who looked at her "Aye poppet?"
"Should I remove those as well?" Fiona pointed to another group of freshly groomed heather.
"Nay, that's suppose tah be there ye ken. We should just pluck the weeds from this side of the garden."Willa replied
"There ye are"
Willa turned to the familiar irritating voice of Guy de Ross, noting that her pleasant morning had come to an end "Aye here we are" her reply was laced with sarcasm "Why did ye need tah find us?"
Ignoring her barb Guy smiled at Fiona "Yer task had kept ye busy this morning I see young lady Fiona. Have ye been tah see yer little brother."
"Aye, this morning before we broke our fast" the young lassie replied squinting her eyes up at Guy.
"And what did ye think of him?"Guy continued dropping beside Fiona.
"He is tinier than me" she smiled "now I doona have tah be the little one any longer."
"Aye ye are his older sister and ye must help yer mam tah care fer him."
"What should I do?" She asked sweetly.
"Ye'll have tah sing him a lullaby just like ye have in the hall fer ye, wee one, have a lovely voice fer singing." Guy smiled flashing his even white teeth.
Willa listened to them speak in silence willing him away but she could not deny his charm with Fiona. "Aye, yer uncle Guy has the right of it, ye'll have tah practice yer song after yer nap this afternoon."
"Must I take a nap Aunt Willa"
"Indeed ye do fer how will ye grow to be big if ye don't rest." Guy replied.
"I'll thank ye tah keep yer responses tah yerself. She didna ask ye, she addressed her question tah me!"Willa exclaimed balefully.
Guy had enough of Willa's rudeness he stood looking down at Willa coldly "Then I shall take my leave" he turned to leave but before he departed his eyes took in Willa sitting on the ground, her hands soiled from removing the weeds before they rested on her face, his look of disdain was enough to shrivel a flower in full bloom "And avoid ye at all cost. A word of caution if I may" his tone was icy as he addressed Willa "Do not tarnish the lassie with yer venom fer she is innocent." He walked away until he disappeared into the inner bailey.
"Aunt Willa why doona ye like Uncle Guy?" Fiona asked innocently.
Willa's eyes shifted to Fiona, looking at the curious expression on the lassie's face made her regret her earlier behavior. She should not have behaved irresponsibly in front of the child. "My apologies Fiona, uncle Guy and I have not been getting on fer some time."
"But why?" Fiona persisted.
"Tis my own fault and ye shouldna follow my example. Come now poppet let us finish this weeding then we should go back te the keep."
As soon as the nooning meal was over and Fiona put to bed for the afternoon, Willa went to visit with Agneta for a bit before retiring to find some privacy. She found herself walking toward the rampart overlooking the view of MacTaggart land.
So much had changed in the year Ian had brought his new bride. The walls had been washed clean, fresh rushes were placed in the hall, the Garisson had been rebuilt, the ruined cottages no longer remained. A new building was being built to house the wariors that had come jointly from the Mackinoons, Menzies and MacInnes clans. There were more people in the village as well. Ian finally had his army of almost hundred warriors and more were to join.
From the parapet she had a clear vision of the warriors practicing their skills with vigor and the head trainer was Guy. She could make out his familiar form as he guided the men with precision. He had always been skilled with both the sword and claymore and his expert guidance was highly visible. It brought her back to the days when her father would let him lead the training while she and Rosette watched from the parapet. He had always been a sight to behold, guiding the mean to hon their skills.
In truth, she would have watched him anyway even if Rosette had not coaxed her to do so for even then she had admired him silently watching every stroke as he brought his blade down on his opponent. She had in fact become one of those who trained with him in secret. It did not matter that she was a lady for her father believed that everyone had a right to defend their life.
Her father had gifted her a sword when she was twelve, unlike other fathers who would have paid for trinkets or gowns, her father had been a practical man. He had started her training then and once when Guy had spied them he joined and began to tutor Willa but that all came to an abrupt halt after the tragedy.
Looking back on those days before the duel that took Cameron's life, Guy and her had shared that special bond and it flowered into a deep attraction that neither one of them could deny. It wasn't difficult to gain Guy's attention for she already had it. Rosette must have sensed it for Guy had been quite attentive to Willa that spring.
She remembered with clarity, it was the eve of Beltane Rosette had purchased a new gown for the evening festivities. Willa also had a new gown, painstakingly sewn together by the seamstress in town. It was made of blue velvet to match her eyes. She had recently turned seven and ten and she wanted to look as lovely as the young belles who were all a twitter. She had dusted her lashes with black kohl to bring out their color and applied berry paste on her lips to make it look sharper. Excitement grew in her breast as she prepared for that evening.
She had been ready to explore the possibilities available to all the young lasses, counting herself luckier than most for she had the privilege of being friends with the handsome wariors her father had trained. That night she hoped to gain their attention, but deep in her heart she knew there was only one warior whose attention she longed for and that was Guy de Ross.
She had spied him immediately as soon as he entered the hall. He looked absolutely dashing, having cleared his face of all traced of facial hair, he wore a dark shirt draped with the Sutherland plaid. All the men wore a kilt but on Guy it fit him like a glove. She knew he had spied her among the lasses surrounding Rosette but he hadn't come to her, instead another warior claimed the first dance. She remembered being disappointed at his aloofness, he seemed to be ignoring her as warior after warior kept her on her toes. But as the night wore on, she had decided to enjoy herself flirting with the men just like a regular lass, the men in turn surrounded her like bees to honey. That's when Guy finally maneuvered himself into the circle and took her way from her admirers.
At first she had just followed him into the center of the hall, surprised by his sudden move but as he pulled her into the dance she could feel the tension in his body, the scowl on his face had been fierce. They had argued and she fled from the keep, running into the stables to recover from the lash of his tongue. He had followed her and in the privacy of the stables they fought with words until he pushed her against the wall and kissed her. It was the first time she had been kissed with such intensity making her surrender with an ardency that shook them both.
She could still remember the feel of his hands as they snaked the length of her back, her breasts had been crushed to his chest and she felt his manhood stiffen between them. It was the first time she became aware of her body quivering beneath his touch. As his lips travelled down her neck, his hands cupping her breasts, an ache grew within her core like a swirling storm gathering strength as his body rocked against hers. If a stable hand had not intruded, she knew for certain she would have surrendered her body to Guy that night. Instead she ran back to the castle and did not stop until she reached her room allowing her the privacy to ponder on what just happened when she finally came to the conclusion that she loved Guy.
Returning back to the present, Willa moved away from the parapet and turned back into the keep. For some reason fate had brought Guy back into her life and for awhile she had harbored the idea that perhaps it was to torture her from the guilt she suffered over Cameron's death which was why she chose to lash out whenever he fell in her path. But after what happened that morning in front of Fiona, she realized that if she did not reign in her emotions it would get out of hand and hurt the people around her. She would have to call a truce and find a way to exist with him while she stayed at Nairn. It was the only way she would survive this visit.