Chapter 23 A Pleasant Diversion

Nain Two Months Later

Two maids had been assigned to Agneta and the children.
The chores were divided between Amy who was rather pleasantly plump and quite cheerful. Just seven and ten years, her whole life had been centered in Nain being the daughter of the village seamstress. She had many stories to share about MacTaggarts having lived with them for most of her young life. She was good with the needle too mending the children's clothes and repairing some other gowns of her msitress.
The other maid was Julien who was quite pretty. She had a fine bone structure and a voluptuous body that she displayed with relish. Her dark auburn was left to flow down her back freely, swaying her hips rather seductively whenever she spied Ian close by. It was Julien that Agneta was rather wary of. The maid was always tart with her mistress acting like she knew more about how to run the keep,  especially when it came to her laird.  It was always "the laird said this or the laird said that or the a laird does not approve of this..."
Sometimes when. Agneta would require Julien's assistance she would pretend not to hear her mistress summons but when The laird called to her she ran to his side immediately. It was Julien who served his meals personally always trying to brush against him with her body whenever she pour him mead or served food on his trencher. Agneta wanted to turn a blind eye but it was fairly obvious the lass wanted the laird. Sometimes Agneta wondered if Juliene had been his Lehman.
Its shouldn't have bother Agneta in the least for she had made herself immune to him but she did catch herself watching Julien at times when she flirted outrageously especially with Her husband. Her gowns were cut daringly low exposing as much of her full chest as she could. At times Agneta would compare her straight figure to Julien's hoping that they would fill out to its former shape in time. As those thoughts rolled in her mind she wondered at why it even bothered her at all when clearly her husband was quite indifferent to her. But to deny the truth of it would be presumptuous.
A day came to pass when Hidred's younger brother Angus finally made his way to the keep.  they had expected him sooner but her had been waylaid by some other errand. Watching her sister by marriage reunite with her sibling brought a pang of nostalgia for their affection reminding Agneta  of how much she missed her own brothers and how truly far away she was from them. Her sadness was short lived for when Angus turned his stormy grey eyes to her she was captivated instantly.
Angus was a ray of sunshine with his wheat colored hair and rather angular face. He was bonnie for a man sporting a beardless face that exposed a cleft chin. When he smiled he had sported dimples on each cheek softening his face significantly. Agneta couldn't help but submit to his charm as she reached out her hand for him to grasp in his rather large warm one.
Bowing before her he said "if I had known the mistress was this bonnie I would have come much sooner" he winked at Agneta saucily despite the fact that both Ian and Liam were present.
"My brother is a rascal Agneta, doona be taken in by his charms"Hildred teased. It was clear to everyone, the two had a special bond.
"I speak truly" angus 's comical almost innocent look made Agneta giggle like an unseasoned lass.
"You must be starved from yer traveling, do come and break yer fast" she invited .
Instead of Ian escorting his wife it was Angus who took the mistress back to the keep while everyone else followed close behind. If Ian was bothered by the man's actions he showed no sign of it. As soon as Angus was fed he was escorted to his room by the women while the men disappeared to continue with their chores.
It was there in the rooms that Hildred explained to Angus the various chores he was to take part in but his eyes remained steady on Agneta who stood by and supervised his bath and whatever necessities he may need.
"Have ye settled in then Lady MacTaggart?" He asked
At first Agneta ignored the question until she realized he waited for an answer.
"Aye, with Hildred's help we have managed to divided the responsibilities betwix us" she responded lightly smiling at his winsome face.
"I suppose Hildred must have as long as list for ye as she has fer me" he teased winking at his sister.
Agneta's laughter was rich and melodious "Not a list truly, a liard's wife has to perform her duties to the keep and the people."
"It sounds rather ominous." He grimaced but it was clear he aimed at humour.
"I wouldna describe our tasks as ominous brother". Hildred protested "but now that yer here the men could use the extra help in rebuilding the garrison. Ye know how ye love to build things."
"Do ye?" Agneta's question was sudden filled with curiosity.
"Egad but the mon likes te break things and then rebuild them.  He needs to understand the way it was built hence the breaking and then he finds a way to restore what he broke into something rather useful. At least in his eyes" she snorted.
"Only if it will prove to be worth it." He replied crossing his arms against his chest. Agneta watched the movement, her gaze straying to his brawny chest which strained against his chest and the thick sinews of his arms, turning away cheeks flushed she decided to speak.
"Have ye apprenticed with a builder?" She asked watching the maid as she poured the hot water in the tub for his bath.
"Not just a singular builder but many. I quite enjoy how the plans for a place turn into something" he walked toward the tub and dipped his fingers inside to teats the temperature "now who plans te bathe me."
"No one! That luxury doesna exist in this keep" Hildred squad sternly before ushering them all away.
His chuckle could be heard down the hallway as the women left.
"Mind ye Agneta my brother can be an outrageous flirt. Never ye mind his antics fer Tis all in jest." Hildred said significantly.
"He seems rather...Er... Pleasant" Agneta blushed as she said this.
"Angus can be charming if he wants te be and flirting with the Laird's wife is a feat he will relish."
"I'm a married woman" Agneta responded flatly.
Hildred only clucked her tongue.
Having. Angus at the keep was a pleasant diversion for all, for starters. Julien shifted her attention to the man hoping to catch his eye whenever she could.  For his part, Angus played his part of a charmer not quite ignoring the maid but not encouraging anything either which made it more of a challenge for the maid.
One evening, a few days later, supper was served as usual but the men had been into their cups  with Liam and Angus drinking the. MacInnes ale like it was water. Their goblets were filled time and time again as the two teased and poked fun at each other, when it started to turn rowdy and they started to sing rather lewdly Hildred ushered the children to their rooms advising Agneta to stay behind.
Ian had remained silent all throughout supper smiling every now and then when the jokes became rather funny but for most of the evening he allowed the ribald to continue finding pleasure in the laughter around the hall. Julien the maid leaned forward and brushed her breast against his arms as she poured him another helping of ale. He never really minded the maid knowing that it was harmless until it became rather obvious when she smiled into his face what she wanted. He did not push her away, just sat and looked at the maid as she smiled invitingly before turning away.
The gesture did not escape Agneta's notice. Suddenly her heart started to beat faster and sweat beaded on her upper lip, eyes narrowing she watched the made retreat, hips swaying seductively as she turned her back on Ian. Julien was aware the laird finally noticed! This made Agneta fume silently. How dare he flirt with the maid while she was present?! Julien turned a smug look at her before standing behind Ian's chair placing her hand on the back of it her fingers splayed as if itching to touch him.
Agneta stood abruptly and was about to announce her departure when Ian spoke instead.
"I think its time my lady wife shares with the clan he deepest secret"
Agneta remain rooted to the spot turning beat red as she flashed a glance of absolute incredulity at her husband. Now what was he going on about? She raised an eyebrow at him questioningly.
"What secret could ye be hiding my lady?" Angus flashed a mischievous smile as he sipped his ale.
"None that I am aware of" she replied perfunctorily.
"Aye ye do, why don't ye give the clan a taste of yer singin." Ian continued in an even tone, his face deadly serious as his gaze burned into her eyes.
She sighed with relief not knowing to to have expected.
"Of course, Agneta fill the hall with yer voice" Liam smiled encouragingly.
Agneta turned to Liam "Alright Liam if ye insist" she replied evenly. "Bram will ye play the fiddle fer me " she turned to Ian's cousin who sat close by his Laird. The man stood with a sheepish grin and walked to get his fiddle. She left the high table and walked to the center of the hall where room was made for her and Bram to settle. She whispered in his ear a tune she had sung to him during one of their rides and he smiled in acknowledgement.
A silence of anticipation surrounded the room as she spied Julien still standing behind Ian's chair she wore a derisive smile on her face while Agneta started the first lines of the song:
"Sweet dreams are made of these
Who am I to disagree
I travel the world and the seven seas
Everybody's looking fer something
Some of them want to use ye
Some of them want te get used by ye
Some of them want te abuse ye
Some of them want te be abused
Agneta smiled at Julien as she sang and then turned to Angus and winked as she continued the rather suggestive lyrics
Hold yer head up (movin on)
Keep yer head up (movin on)
Hold yer head up'
Some of them want te abuse ye
Some of them te be a used'
She repeated the lyrics twice and as the song came to an end, there was pin drop silence before Angus stood up and started the clapping laughing as he did so. She  in turn looked at Angus and smiled a blush creeping up into her cheeks at his exuberant praise but when she turned to Ian she found his frown to be unnerving. The crowd asked for more but she had declined feigning exhaustion she excused herself and made for her room.
Agneta appraised herself through the looking glass, dressed in her thin shift she perused the outline of her body taking note of the nuances to her figure. Since her arrival at Nairn she had eaten heartily having put on a few stones  that left her once sallow, sunken cheeks full and her waistline thicker. Her hips, although much rounder were still shapeless and her thighs were still skinny.
She never took an interest in her body before always having proclaimed her figure as suitable until Julien made her realize that men preferred curves and it made her painfully aware of how much she lacked. Was she becoming jealous of the maid? That though was like a douse of cold water on her face.
The door that separated her room from Ian opened with a creaky sound making her shriek in surprise as she eased for her gown to cover herself. Ian walked through the door spying Agneta awkwardly trying to cover her small frame from his view but he did notice that she was clad in a thin shift that outlined her naked body underneath.
"What are ye doing here?" She exclaimed in surprise.
"What was that song all about? I've never heard of it afore"his voice, although calm was laced with reproach.
She turned away from his penetrating gaze "Tis a song Sarah wrote and sang quite often, Tis rather popular in Kinfyre especially after she sang it."
He crossed his arms against his chest "It was rather .....inappropriate."
"How so?" She asked tartly.
"Don't think me daft Agneta, ye were clearly aimin to send a message." He said bluntly watching as her stoic expression changed into fury.
"And....what message did I aim te send?" She continued the gown had slipped from covering her body and exposed the sillouhette of her figure against the thin shift.
Without realizing it Ian had his eyes move from her face down the transparent expanse of her chest, he took a few steps closer but she remained Imobile as she watched him walk toward her.The firelight danced against his darkened skin making her keenly aware of the sinews of his muscular arms which were bare. Her eyes travelled back to his face, his eyes she noticed had become lighter almost feral as he bent down to pick up her discarded gown. He handed the garment to her. Quickly she grasped it and used it to shield her body.
"Tis best ye choose yer songs wisely next time." Was his final answer before he turned back and left the room closing the adjoining door softly.
Agneta let the gown slip from her fingers eyeing the closed door speculatively.  Should she bolt it? He had never used it except for when the storm came but judging from the way he looked at her there was something in those expressive eyes that made her wonder when he would finally claim his husbandly rights. Would she be ready? Those thoughts swiveled in her mind as she eased into her bed.
Ian leaned back against the closed door closing his eyes as he remembered the sound of her voice singing that suggestive song in the hall earlier.  It bothered him somewhat that she seemed to have dedicated the song to Angus for her eyes had roamed the crowd and rested on his face. What was he to expect? He had ignored her for most of her stay, allowing her to ride alone with Bram it was inevitable that they would strike a friendship and that his cousin would be privy to her sweet voice. And if there was anyone to blame for the sharing of her talent it would be him for he had suggested it.
Still, he would not stand for her encouragement of another man, she was his wife therefore his property.  He did neglect to see to her needs and left most of it to Hildred for he had been busy helping to rebuild the keep.  Angus had been summoned for his expert knowledge at building, his presence was necessary but he had been aware of the easy way to which Agneta had responded to Angus. The man was charming, the lasses were captivated by his easy going manner and jovial disposition.  Ian had been like that once a long time ago but the burdens of life had left him stricken and embittered.  It would be some time before he returned back to the same easy manner Such that Angus embodied.
He shook those thoughts away being bone weary from the days activities. He started to remove his clothes and made ready for bed, taking one last look at the door adjoining their rooms he thought it was time he rebuilt the cellar as well then perhaps he would persuade Agneta to start making the ale for the MacTaggart clan.  That should keep her busy and clearly out of the clutches of meddling men.
.................................................................
Note: I would like to acknowledge SWEET DREAMS by the Eurythmics. I used this song for this chapter not only because they are a scottish band, one of the more famous bands in the eighties, but also for the song itself. Annie Lennox, the leader of the band is Scottish and the song is one of my favorite tunes.