11 : 'Dance'

Chapter 11

(Saturday)

Her hands around the big coffee mug were mildly trembling. I stared at them and then at her. She never listened to anyone.

"You drove here" I stated, placing my coffee mug on the floor beside me, where I sat leaning against the wall. Before she came, I was doing my project work while talking to Hunter on the phone. The papers were still lying scattered across the floor.

"I drove here" She repeated. The dark black lines under her eyes proved she was over-stressing herself again.

"What happened to Uncle Danny?" I asked.

"I wanted to come alone" She finally calmed down and lifted the coffee mug to her lips.

"You didn't tell anyone?" I exclaimed.

"No"

"Mom, you drove here, alone and then you didn't even tell anyone?" I was furious, "You didn't even tell Dad?"

"That's the point of driving here, isn't it?" She smiled innocently. My mother, Bella Ryder, gave me an unexpected surprise this morning by coming all the way from the city, alone. She was a terrible driver and was never allowed to drive on her own unless, well- unless it was absolutely necessary. And even if that happened, Dad's supervision for the whole ride was mandatory. Christ! He's going to be so pissed!

"He probably already knows. He's kind of a stalker!" The last part, I whispered looking away.

"I heard that" She sipped the coffee once more, "But it's true. I swear, if he wasn't my husband he would be serving jail for being the most outrageous stalker!"

She smiled at her own thoughts and I couldn't help but join. Dad and Mom were like those teenage couples that would fight all the time, but get back together in a blink of an eye. I never understood their concept of love.

"How's he?" I asked after a small pause.

"Living" Was her short reply.

I sighed. Today wouldn't be easy, "Mom, why are you here?"

"I came to see you, Amy" She looked sad. My heart constricted hearing her call me Amy. My parents called me Amy since I was born. I loved that. I missed that.

"Mom, if you came to.."

"Amy, come back home. We miss you, sweetheart. Your Dad misses you so much it's killing him" Mom's voice was shaking. She was trying hard to control the tears.