American Curl

"What's wrong?" Nathan asked as he watched Freya sit beside him on the Italian leather seat of his black Bugatti Veyron.

After showering, Nathan saw a sudden change in her. She grew quiet, and she didn't give any sort of snarky remarks like she did. All she did was stroke Miu Miu's fur. It was getting strange. Overall, Nathan was worried.

She held onto Miu Miu who was trying to slide out of her grasp. Miu Miu wanted to explore the car. Freya looked up at him, sighing. "Two reports have already come in about 'me secretly seeing you'."

He frowned at her reason, then shrugged. "You see? I pretty much told you so."

"I just think that maybe you sending me to the café wouldn't be the best when trying to dodge all of these," she continued.

He scoffed. "Who cares what they say? We're not romantically involved and that's the truth, so let them talk all they want." He revved up the engine of the car, earning longing stares from passers by. "Come on, time to get you to your workplace before I get to mine."

He drove out to the streets, taking a couple of turns before arriving at Mocha Whiskers. Freya picked Miu Miu up in her arms and smiled gently at Nathan. "Thanks for the ride."

"We're friends now, right?" He asked before she was about to open the door.

She laughed. "You're still my mortal enemy. We can be friends when you stop hating on animals." She told him before pushing the door closed after getting out.

Nathan watched as her hips swayed in her Giambattista Valli A-line skirt while she was walking to the café doors. She dressed normally today, kind of like how the rest of the society ladies did. He had to admit, he liked what she wore the night before, but she seemed to look better with every day passing.

After Freya had unlocked the doors of the café, she gave Nathan a wave before he left. The car was stood out among the rest of the cars, and her eyes followed it until it was out of sight. She shook her head, going on to feed the cats their breakfast before opening the café for the day.

[ c a t n i p ]

For that day, a lot of familiar faces showed up to visit the café.

Freya recognized a lot of female socialites who were streaming in like fresh cookies, and some male ones too. As they held their gatherings in the café, she could feel a lot of eyes on her too. She felt uncomfortable about it, but she didn't show it. The sudden presence of the society was in her café was probably because of the rumors that she was dating him.

"Miss Beauregard?" One of her employees, Gail McIntyre, started, nervously looking at all the intimidating women and men in designer clothes.

"Yes?" Freya gently smiled at her.

"I know that I shouldn't have pried, but I overheard one of them talking about you and some guy."

"I know that, but thanks for informing me." Freya sighed. She knew that these socialites and the other customers of the café who might be paparazzi were just waiting to see them together. Didn't they have real things to do, like plan parties or shop or follow actual celebrities (last point being directed to the paparazzi)? This was the first time she'd garnered this much attention outside of parties after her return to Manhattan.

She checked the time and found that it was lunchtime. She couldn't help but hope that something would hold Nathan up so that he wouldn't come to the café. She had to agree with what he'd said earlier about knowing the truth and not actually caring about what others thought, but she just didn't want any added drama that came with the new.