The Makeover [10]

Start from the beginning

With a hug and a kiss, my mother left my room, leaving me all alone again.

What time was it it anyways? I looked at my digital, and practically did a happy dance, when I realized dinner would be ready soon. I was really hungry, even after all the junk food I ate today. However, dinner with my family sounded like the best thing in the world at this point. 

I got up from bed, and exited my room to go down stairs to the kitchen. The smell of baked potatoes drifted through the air, and I immediately knew what dad was cooking.

My dad rarely made any dishes with potatoes, unless we were eating shepherd's pie. It wasn't as gross as it sounded. It was basically made up of three layers: mince meat, corn and mashed potatoes. It used to be my favourite dish when I was younger.

Hopping down the stairs into the kitchen, I spotted my dad taking the food out the oven. He was wearing a bright pink apron that caused me to giggle. My dad was more on the manly side so seeing him in a fluffy pink apron always amused greatly.

My dad looked up and shot me a playful glare. He knew what I was thinking. I giggled some more.

"Stop laughing at me," my father scolded.

I smiled wickedly.

"Never!" I cried dramatically, like a warrior claiming he wasn't giving up. My father rolled his eyes and threw the kitchen cloth at my face. Batting it away, I stuck my tongue out, and hoped onto the kitchen counter, watching as my dad, cut perfect squares into the pie. My father was the cook of the family. Unlike my mother, my dad could make just about anything if he put his mind to it.

"Where's your mother?" My father asked curiously, as he reached into the cabinet and pulled out four plates. Handing them to me, he made a gesture for me to set the table.

"Upstairs." My dad nodded his head. I carried the plates into the dining room and placed the down, my dad followed closely behind with utensils and cups.

"I was thinking―" my dad started, but was cut off by the trill of the house phone.

"Hold that thought dad," I said quickly as I practically skipped to the phone in joy. Hopefully it was someone like Amber ... or maybe even Christopher, but he didn't have my house phone, just my cell.

Picking up the receiver, I was greeted by a familiar over excited voice.

"Hey, Rosie!" A voice exclaimed, and I had to cover my ears to keep them from exploding. Well not literally, it was just how it felt.

"Robert? How did you know it would be me to answer?" I asked curiously as I pressed the phone to my ear after his dramatic greeting. I haven't spoken to Robert since New York. It felt like such a long time ago, when in reality it was only last week when I saw him. Why would he be calling?

"Just a lucky guess," he stated and I could imagine him shrugging his shoulders as he spoke. It just seemed like something he would do.

"So what's up?" I questioned as I leaned against the wall. My father walked in and looked at me curiously, I mouthed 'Rob' but the look on his face told me he didn't understand.

'Rob' I mouthed again, and my dad nodded his head slowly. He still didn't get it, but I guess he gave up because he went back into the kitchen, probably to set the food on the table.

"Rosie, can you hear me? Rosie―e?" He called dragging out my name, which I hated, but between him and Amber, I was pretty much used to it.

"Oh, sorry," I apologized, "I blanked out," I lied.

"It's alright. I was calling to let you know that everyone loves the cover," Robert announced, and I smiled. Well, that's good to hear. It would suck if everyone working at the company hated it, and decided to trash it and make a new one. One that didn't include me.

"My personal assistant is sending the final copy to the printers on Friday. I was wondering if you would like to see it? You know, that way if you want anything changed you could let us know," Robert stated and I agreed. I gave Robert my e-mail. I would have to check it in the schools library because my parents had my laptop. How evil of them.

We talked a little bit more about nothing in particular before the sound of my dad calling us for dinner broke us off.

"Thank you, Robert. This means a lot to me," I said. It was true, and I couldn't wait to tell Davis the great news!

"No, thank you. You really do brighten up the cover," he laughed and so did I.

Saying our goodbyes, I hanged up the phone and headed straight for the dining room, right before my mom and my brother entered the area. It was a quite an interesting dinner.