Chapter 11

Hope you enjoy this chapter; not much I've got to say... but sorry it was uploaded so late and...I guess I hope you like it :D

Comment, Vote, and maybe fan if you like!

 -------------------------------------------------------------

Lucas:

Why she acted and acts the way she did and does, I have no idea why. I probably never would. I sneakily glance at her, who was walking right beside me. She looks up at me soon after, and I hastily am forced to glance away.

“Were you looking at me?” she asks, a strange, unreadable expression on her face. I feel my cheeks turn pink.

“Uhm, no, why would I?” I ask her back. She looks at me grudgingly. Shifting Gabe to my other side, we finally reach the Chamber Room.

***

“Please, come this way, Gabe Martin. You as well, Miss Lassie,” a voice says. I turn to look at the person who was speaking. He had sparkling hazel eyes and lustful dark hair. He was Number Two.

"Hello there," he says kindly. He looks at Lassie and smiles. I lower Gabe and he shivers when his small feet hit the water. I glance at Number Two.

"What number might you be?" she asks quizically.

"Number Two, dear. My name is Zane Whifter," he tells her. By now, Gabe's teeth are chattering. Lassie notices and she comes close to us both and picks him up. Gabe looks at her in appreciation.

"Th-thank y-you," Gabe says shakily. She smiles her beautiful smile and my lips curve up too.

"This is Gabe Martin. He's new here," she tells them all, as if they did not know already. They all nod in acknowledgement.

"The usual procedures," someone behind us three starts to say. We all turn to look and see that Number Three is speaking to us. "have to be done, of course but I think there's something that Lassie wants to say?" he finishes and they all look pointedly at me. She blinks, caught in surprise. she stands there in silence, as they all turn to stare at her. I notice that she is uncomfortable, what with all the people staring directly at her. She opens her mouth.

"I'd like to be a Helper," she tells them all, as they look at her in confusion.

"A helper? Now why would you want to do that?" Number Two asks, a strange expression on his face. I gulp. I hope that he does not give any of my personal information away.

"I want to be a Helper because it sounds like fun," she says adamantly. She turns toward me and smiles. I swallow loudly again. "I think that it would be interesting, going around from group to group, helping others with their needs," she tells him clearly. They all look at her with a strange, unreadable expression.

Number Two glances at me and raises an eyebrow. I know why he is looking at me but I do not say anything. I merely shrug.

"Great minds think alike," I say aloud and their heads whip around to look at me. It was not something I should have done, however. Because I was a Helper. Number Two turns back to Lassie and grudgingly nods.

"You may become a Helper if that is what you wish, Miss Lassie. As for you, Gabe..." he trails off, his eyes staring off into nothing in particular, pondering.

"I want to do what Lassie does," he pipes up. She looks at him intently before sighing.

"I'm afraid that you can't do that, Gabe. You have to go through some tests," she tells him. His eyes drop down and his face shows his sorrow.