03 | her nerves

MY brain short-circuited

MY brain short-circuited. Only one thing was on my mind: my mate.

The warning signs had all been present for weeks. I had the anxious wolf, an increased appetite, and a subtle change in my own scent. All of which pointed toward my mate's impending arrival.

Normally, my nerves on such a momentous occasion would have been mostly of pure excitement. I had watched the precious bond between my parents grow and flourish even as the years turned to decades.

But today was no normal day.

Today, I would receive my placement results, and my mate should have been the last thing on my mind.

Tension pricked at my spine, and I shivered, curling my toes as I waited for Spencer to leap through the basement window. At the first sign of sunlight, Spencer and I scrambled from our makeshift beds to prepare for our impending results.

I had been the first one to trudge through the window, and that was when I was hit with the earthy, citric scent of my mate.

Not being able to take the anticipation any longer, I paced in place before saying, "Spencer, I'll just meet you there, okay?"

Our original plan had been for Spencer and I to walk back to our homes together. It was no longer curfew, but Spencer only lived a few blocks down from me, and I couldn't wait any longer.

Standing idle in Olivia's yard made my skin crawl. If I wanted to succumb to the strength to get ready for placements, I knew I had to move, and Spencer was moving too slowly for my liking.

"Violet!" Spencer called after me, half his body stuck in the window.

"Sorry!" I winced, offering him a smile before I sprinted back home.

Haphazardly, I ran through the street, determined to make it home before either Henry or Dad could notice my absence. Luckily for me, my family was not comprised of early risers. As I carefully clasped the front door shut, I tip-toed upstairs, exhaling a sigh of relief when I heard the repetitious breathing patterns of both my brother and dad.

They were both still asleep.

My shoulders relaxed, and I plopped down at my vanity. Gripping the edge of the countertop, I cursed under my breath, "Fuck, fuck, fuck."

"Shut the fuck up, Violet," Henry yelled through the wall that connected our two rooms, but I paid his less-than-welcoming greeting no mind.

My knuckles turned white, and I closed my eyes, resting my forehead on one of my arms. The pulsing nerves relented, but I was still unsettled. Today was supposed to be about paving the way for my future on my terms, not the terms of my potential mate.

Nevertheless, of course, I still wanted to find my mate.

I wondered if my mate was in a similar state of disarray, looking for me. I shook my head, groaning. The scent had grown less potent the closer I had trudged back home.