27 | her heat

WADE helped escort me out of the car

WADE helped escort me out of the car. His touch was captivating, sending a ripple of tingles down my spine. My breath hitched in my chest, and I struggled to walk up the automatic doors of the hotel without crumbling. My knees were like Jello, shaking with each step.

When we finally got inside the hotel, Wade rushed to the check-in desk. I was so preoccupied with steadying my breaths and trying my hardest to not let any embarrassing sounds escape my lips that I didn't pay much attention to what was going on around me.

In record time, Wade had been handed our room key and then was fast to book it toward the elevator. The wait was excruciating. My eyes would wander to Wade, and I'd have to bite my tongue to keep from gawking. My wolf wanted Wade, and she wanted Wade now.

I wasn't in much of a state to deny my wolf her wants and desires. But is that what I wanted? Did I want him? Moreover, did I want him like this?

Heat was nature's way of bringing mates together. When the bond wasn't enough, more often than not, the burning heat would have a tantalizing effect on both people in the mate bond.

It was hard to resist.

But something inside me made me believe Wade would be just the right person to restrain himself from such temptations.

After a few minutes, the elevator finally chimed, opening its doors wide. Wade muttered under his breath as he guided me into the lift. When the doors finally closed and Wade pressed the third-floor button, the lurking tension between us was palpable.

I leaned against the side of the elevator for support, taking a moment to catch my breath. The fire between my legs grew as I watched Wade's chest rise and fall in a rhythmic pattern.

I adjusted the collar of my shirt as a bead of sweat trickled down my back. I licked my lips and closed my eyes. I didn't know how I was going to get through the night.

When the doors of the elevator reopened, I stumbled forward, but Wade caught me before I could faceplant on the floor. His touch soothed the flames dancing up and down my arms, and I instinctively leaned into his touch.

He whispered, "Fuck," as he dragged me to our destination. He fumbled with the key, but it was not long before the hotel door opened. Wade rushed me to the bed, plopping me down on the mattress. He wasted no time scurrying off toward the bathroom.

Too comfortable to move, I lay on my back, staring at the ceiling as my body shivered. Sweat began to drench every inch of my body, but I was cold at the same time. I could hear the tap from the bathroom run, but it was quickly cut short. Wade's hastened footsteps marched back toward me.

"Here," his voice was raspy. "This should make you feel better."

He placed a damp washcloth on my forehead. I sighed in relief, pushing the washcloth over my eyes. I barely managed to mutter a jumbled, "Thanks," before Wade was back in motion.