1

Edited 09/05/16

I remember the day that the sun flares hit. Although it was years ago, and I was four. But some things are so terrible that they are burned in your mind forever.

I remember that strange men had tried to warn us. I remember being extremely confused as to who they were. I know now, of course, that they were scientists, trying to get us to hide in the last hours before the sun flares hit. Not many people listened to the scientists, including my parents. But my aunt did. She took me and my sister deep, deep, underground, where we thought we were safe.

Safe. The word leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. We were so unsafe that day, it was almost funny. It would be funny, if that hadn't been the day that my world was ruined.

After the flares hit, there was chaos. Anybody out in the open was fried on the spot. There were fires on almost every street. There were people screaming everywhere, running around, trying to find shelter.

~

We were down in the tunnels for over two years. There was no shortage of food, as that was where all the supermarkets and factories stored their products.

We weren't the only ones underground, not by a long shot. There were plenty of men, women and children around. Most people stayed near food and water sources. Everyone stocked up, in case flares hit again, and we would be stranded. At the time, we were safe. Dirty. Miserable. Terrified. But safe.

But the day I remember the most vividly was the day we decided to finally emerge from underground, and meet the burnt and destructed world above.

~

"Are you okay?" Aunt Tanya asked me.

"Yeah... why?" I answered with a question of my own. Although I was barely six, this was already one of my favourite ways to reply to questions.

Aunt Tanya didn't answer. I looked into her dark, brown eyes. They were filled with worry and  sadness. I hated to see them like that. Our eyes were the only thing me and my aunt shared, and it pained me to see them like that.

Putting on a clearly strained smile, as if she knew what I was thinking, my aunt turned away towards Olivia, my sister. I fiddled with my dirty, dark blond hair. Living in the sewers didn't give much time for cutting hair, so it was pretty long. It looked okay though, nowhere near as bad as Olivia's midnight black rats nest.

I moved towards the two girls, and my sister raised her soft blue eyes to meet mine. We locked our gazes, but I had to look away. Even then, even with my own sister, I found girls... unnerving. It wasn't awkward or anything, but I always found them so complicated, so layered.

"So..." Aunt Tanya begun, "I've been thinking."

I nodded, willing her to continue.

"I think we should go back up."

If I had been drinking or eating at that moment, I would've choked. The mere thought of going back up to the world above was terrifying.

"I mean," Aunt Tanya continued, "other people have been going up, and we can't stay down here forever. A sewer is no place to raise a child, and I promised your parents that I would not only keep you safe, but I would also raise you to be good people."

At the mention of my parents, I looked up. I hadn't even realised that I had been staring at my intertwined fingers and that my eyes had glazed over slightly. To my surprise, it was my sister that broke the silence.

"I agree with Aunt Tanya."

It took all of my self-control not to gape at her. My sister, willing to leave safety? My sister, willing to take a risk? Wow. I guess that the months underground had toughened her up more than I had realised.

I bit the inside of my cheek. I didn't want to go back up to the world. I didn't want to see my beautiful city wrecked. But as much as I hated it, I was now the man of the family. I had to stay strong for my sister. Because as strong as she was, my aunt wouldn't be here forever.

"Then let's go."

Heyyyy. I really hoped you enjoyed this chapter. I'm sorry it was so short, but hey, the next one can be longer. I would just like to thank OliviaHoranTomlinson . She's awesome.