Nineteen-Rehearsals

Start from the beginning

My mom and some other ladies were surrounding Anna and talking away about the wedding. Or they could be gossiping. Or both.

I thought Anna's house was huge, but her backyard seemed bigger. There was a good size patio right when you walk outside. The backyard had been nicely landscaped.

That's when I noticed the patio door open and Ryan stepped out. He was dressed in a button up shirt and black pants. Then after him, Robert stepped outside. What surprised me was who stood behind Robert.

It was Aiden.

He was dressed in a white button up shirt that was un-tucked. A tie was hung loosely around his neck and he had on black pants. In one hand was his black leather jacket.

Strangely, I found myself not wanting to look away from him. My stomach did this weird thing and I felt like I was going to pass out. He was facing Robert who said a few words to him. Aiden nodded then turned around and started walking away. I quickly turned away and acted like I wasn't just staring at him.

I felt someone tap my shoulder and I slowly turned. Aiden smirked at me. "Hello Ms. Summers."

"Mr. Callaway." I said, feeling like I was in Pride & Prejudice. "What are you doing here?" I asked curiously.

He shrugged. "Nothing better to do on a Friday night. Not one party is being thrown." He shook his head disapprovingly.

I chuckled. "What a shame."

He gave me a once-over then looked back at my face. "You look...different."

"I know." I said, frowning at the dress. "You look different also. Why did you ask me black or red?"

"The tie color." He said, grabbing his tie. "I had a red one and a black one, but I wasn't sure which one I should pick."

"So you called me." I said slowly.

He nodded. "Very few people's opinion matter to me." He winked.

"Aiden, what are you doing here?" Kelly asked next to me.

"I had nothing better to do." He told her.

Kelly smirked. "Mmhmm. Sure..." She waved to us before leaving.

I looked back at Aiden. "So it's been a while." I told him.

"Since what?" He frowned.

"Since we last talked."

He smirked. "You missed me, didn't you?"

"I did not." I crossed my arms. "I'm just saying we haven't talked in two days."

"You missed me." He nodded. "It's okay though, because I missed you too." He nudged my arm.

Before I could even react to his comment, Anna gained everyone's attention. "The food is ready everyone! Form a line right here and come grab a plate!"

My stomach was growling at this point. I didn't snack on anything when I got home from school, and I'm really regretting that decision. I made my way to where the line was forming and stood.

Once I got my plate of food, I went and sat at one of the tables that was empty and quickly started eating. I was starving.

Aiden pulled a chair next to me and sat down. "I hope you're not mad at me anymore for ignoring you for two days." He said.

"I guess I'm not mad." I shrugged as I continued to eat.

"Oh and guess what?" He asked me. I looked at him. "I had to take three showers in a row just to get that fucking blue paint out of my hair."

"I only had to take two showers." That paint was hard to get off. I won't be using that brand of paint anymore. Once it's on, it never comes off.

"Can I get everyone's attention please?" Anna's voice rang out. "Thank you! Okay, so there are a few people who want to make a speech. So whoever wants to go first can go ahead!" Anna smiled as she sat back down next to Robert.

One of Anna's sisters stood up and made a speech about Robert and Anna. I felt Aiden tensing next to me. I knew he didn't like what she was saying about fate bringing them together.

I don't know what possessed me to do it, but I grabbed Aiden's left hand. He looked at me incredulously, obviously shocked that I was now holding his hand. I squeezed it to let him know that it was okay. He turned back to Anna's sister and continued to hold my hand.

The next person to talk was Jenna, along with Kelly. Their speech was short, but nice. It didn't drag on.

After Jenna and Kelly's speech, Ryan stood up and cleared his throat. He started off by congratulating Anna and Robert. Then he moved on to something that no one else mentioned. "Personally, I wasn't sure about you guys getting married. But then I actually got to know Robert, who is pretty cool." He smiled. "I also got to know Aiden, Robert's son."

Aiden sat forward in his chair and focused on Ryan.

"In a way, I admire Aiden." Ryan said to everyone. "He's been through a lot and he's managed to stay strong. He may look like your everyday troublesome kid, but he's not. Once you get to know him, he can be a real chill guy. And I'm glad that after tomorrow, I can call him my stepbrother."

I looked at Anna and Robert, to see their reactions. Anna looked shocked, but somewhat proud. Robert's expression was hard to read. He looked like he was going to cry, but he stayed calm.

"I've got a great family and I know it'll be even greater having Robert and Aiden around." Ryan finished. Everyone clapped as he sat down.

I glanced at Aiden who had his jaw clenched. "Are you...okay?" I asked hesitantly.

He exhaled. "I don't know if I should be happy, or fucking pissed right now."

"Why?" I asked him.

"Well, I know he lied when he said he admired me." Aiden said. "But I shouldn't be so mad because he basically just praised me in front of everybody."

I looked at Ryan who smiled at me. I smiled back at him then looked at Aiden. "You shouldn't dislike Ryan so much. I bet he has somewhat the same feelings as you do."

"How?" He asked me.

"Their dad chose to leave them Aiden." I told him, remembering Kelly's words when I asked her about her dad. "Your mom didn't choose to leave you, but their dad did. He left to have another life with another woman. I bet Ryan's hurting too."

Aiden sighed. "How did you become the person who understands everything in my life?"

I shrugged. "I don't know. Why? Do you want me not to understand?" I asked him, feeling a little bit hurt.

He smirked and squeezed my hand. "I do want you to understand, because no one else will." He told me.

At that moment, I knew why my stomach felt weird when I saw Aiden walk outside earlier. I knew why I always let my guard down around him. I knew why I missed him over these two days that I didn't see him.

I had a crush on Aiden Callaway.