Chapter 24: Being Perfect

9:55PM, halftime.

The Tigers players were in the Visiting locker room, battered, bruised, and exhausted by the pathetic first half of the BFL championship game, Sherman was exhausted as well and he finally spoke.

"We're gonna need a lot more than that. Offensive line, you look like you're slipping on ice. Everyone has to come off the ball! Defense you need to get better coverage than that. We have to stop allowing big plays tonight." Sherman sternly said, the others agreed, while Charlie Brown looked at Sherman, much to the redheaded boy's confusion.

"Brown, go in at kick return and show me something!" Sherman said, and then Sherman took a second to calm down. He took a deep breath. He then looked at Kid Trunks and then said, "Trunks, I was hoping that I wouldn't have to do this to one of my best friends, but you've left me no other choice. You're benched!"

Kid Trunks looks shocked, he then complained, "No, wait!"

"You know what, I don't wanna hear it, and maybe you should've remembered what I said earlier before the game. Just shut up!" Sherman angrily shouted, and then he took another second to take a breather.

"It's your fault we're in this situation anyway!" One of the players angrily said.

The other teammates agreed about Sherman returning to his original quarterback position.

Sherman then shouted, "Shut up!" The team turned their attention towards Sherman.

The seven year old redhead boy then took a moment and remembered one thing that he said about being perfect.

Sherman then finally calmly said, "Well, it's real simple. 2 more quarters, and that's it. Now most of you have been playing this game for 5 years for your school. And you got two more quarters and after that, some of you will never play this game again as long as you live. And all of you worked really hard for this game. And for quite a long time, you have heard classmates, teachers, parents, and friends talking about staying perfect. But to tell you the truth, if there's anything I learned from my experiences, then it's this: being perfect is not about that scoreboard out there. It's not about winning. It's about you and your relationship with yourself, your family and your friends. Being perfect is about being able to look your friends in the eye and know that you didn't let them down because you told them the truth. And that truth is you did everything you could. There wasn't one more thing you could've done. Can you live in that moment as best you can, with clear eyes, and love in your heart, with joy in your heart? If you can do that, guys - you're perfect."

(Start playing the final 3 minutes and 2 seconds of "Your Hand in Mine from Explosions in the Sky)

Everyone knew what Sherman was talking about; being perfect is about working hard and being honest with your friends and family.

"I want you to take a moment, and I want you to look each other in the eyes. I want you to put each other in your hearts forever because forever is about to happen here in just a few minutes. I want you to close your eyes and think of Charlie Brown, who is your brother. And he would love it to have his father still be alive to see his son play. I also want you to think of your teammate Goten, who would want nothing more but to have his brother to be happy. Put those in your hearts, guys. My heart is full, boys. My heart is full." Sherman replied.

"Clear Eyes, Full Hearts...." Sherman spoke again, but some of the players were confused.

"Clear Eyes, Full Hearts....." Sherman repeated.

"Can't Lose." Charlie Brown then said.

"Clear Eyes, Full Hearts..." Sherman repeated once again.