It's All About Control~@FandomHQ

The thing about power... well, there's no simple way to explain it. Power is like that quote "money can't buy you happiness". Except, it can - but only if you feel it can. 

Where I'm going with this... honestly, I'm even starting to confuse myself with this, which is never a good sign. 

Let me start again. 

There are two ways to go once you have access to power - the "dark side of the Force" or the "light side of the Force". Basically the nerdy saying that you can either be the bad or the good guy. Once you've chosen your side, you need to learn how to control your power, and then things build up from there. 

I know which side I'm on - the good one, obviously. The only thing is, I don't know how to control any of the power I wield, and people are scare of me because of it. This makes me question whether I really am one of the good guys. 

See? Power can either buy happiness, or loneliness. 

There's only one person who actually trusts me enough to help - and I'm extremely grateful for it. He takes time off from teaching other bionic students just to help me learn how to control my bionics (and to finally get me out of the sour ranks of the yellow shirt students - me being the only one left). 

Chase had been taking things slowly with my training, pushing against his better judgment to leave me out of impatience. Truth be told, I've been lost when it comes to controlling my bionics for over a year now. But, now, he's been going full out with my training - and I mean it's been getting bloody serious. Instead of simulating missions, like the other students do, he's been taking me on small missions - real missions. They're only small ones; small building fires, tiny bank robberies... little things that the police are willing to let us help them out with. 

'Jemma, are you even focusing!?' 

I was pulled out of my thoughts at the sound of my mentor screaming at me, suddenly remembering that we were currently on one of the said-missions. 

'Shit, sorry' I mumbled back, glancing around at the burning building. 

Chase had managed to get everyone out of the house before anyone had gotten hurt by the spreading fire, and was currently trying to prevent the fire from enveloping the surrounding houses using his Molecular Kinesis. 

'Jem,' he grunted, the force of the fire becoming too much for him to bare. 'Don't you have Hydrokinesis?' 

I nodded, picking up on what he was suggesting. 

I moved over to a spot in front of the burning house and stood in my practised position. 

'C'mon, c'mon you can do this Jem' I whispered to myself as I squeezed my eyes shut, trying hard to conjure up a wave of water out of thin air to throw at the house. 

I waited for a moment before slowly opening my eyes. I almost felt my heart drop. 

'I can't do it, Chase!' I screamed. 

'Water is patient, Jemma. Water just waits. Yet, despite its patiences, it does serious damage. It wears down the cliff tops, the mountains. The whole of the world. Water always wins.'

I swallowed hard and nodded. 

Chase did have a point, even if it was based on a Doctor Who quote. 

I returned to my stance, slowly inhaling and exhaling in attempt to calm my nerves. I closed my eyes.

'Remember your training Jem,' I told myself. 'Calm and patient. Believe you can do it, and it'll eventually happen'. 

My hands started tingling slightly and the sound of rushing water had appeared from no where. I opened my eyes. 

'Holy shit!' I cried out in utter disbelief. 

I soon remembered that this was a matter of urgency and willed the ball of water to soak the burning building. 

It did so, causing the licking flames to die in a hiss of smoke. 

I laughed in glee, glancing at Chase's triumphant grin. 

My smile slowly disappeared, events seeming as if they were playing out in slow motion.
Chase stood there, his beaming grin seeming to light up the whole street. The burt house; its wood rupturing, the supports slowly starting to collapse in. Chase was in the direct line in which the beams were falling. 

I ran as fast as I could but, deep down, I know I wasn't going to make it in time. 

Then, it was as if some form of a God was shining down on me, because I was suddenly pushing Chase out of the way, yet was unable to get myself out of the way. 

The last thing I remember was looking up to see a falling, charred beam, before looking down to see Chase running towards me, a concerned expression etched across his face. 

Then everything went black. 

***

I winced as the sudden exposure of light washed over me, the bright white becoming too much to bare. I quickly squeezed my eyes shut again, attempting to let them adjust to the sudden change in light.

My head pounded, and my left arm felt numb - I couldn't seem to move it. 

I took a deep breath and slowly opened my eyes again. I quickly registered that I was in a hospital. I looked down at my arm, seeing that it was in a large cast. Shit. It took me a moment to remember what events had taken place the night before. I grinned, remembering that I had finally managed to control my powers. But that smile slowly faded when I thought harder. 

Building. Collapse. Chase. Ouch. 

'Jemma?' I heard someone say from beside me. 

I turned my head, wincing in pain, to face the owner of the voice. 

'Hey Chase' I breathed, my throat hurting. 

He sighed in relief. 'Are you OK? I was so worried, I thought something horrible had happened to you -'

'Hey, I'm fine. Really, it's just a broken arm'.  

I could see tears forming in his eyes.

'But, the question is,' I added, 'are you OK?' 

He looked at the wall in front of him, refusing to meet my eyes. 

He stayed silent for a moment, before sighing. 

'I- I thought that you were dead, and I knew that I would live in regret for the rest of my life. If something happened to you on my watch, I'd have to live with the feeling that I was responsible for the death of the girl I love'. 

Hang on, did he say love?

'Girl you love?' I asked. 

He finally turned to look at me and nodded.

'Yeah,' he said, in-between tears. 'Spending so much time with you during training, I found out that I might have a crush on you. But, that small crush slowly developed into a feeling that was beyond me.' He paused for a moment, and smiled. 'I love you Jem'. 

'I love you too'. 

_______________________________________________________________________________

There you go! What do you think? Hope you thought it was alright. 

Sorry it took a while.

By the way, happy new year everyone!! 

Emmy :)