EASE

|| there will be abuse in this chapter||

I've been trying to hide it // But I can't help feeling like I'm all alone, all alone

< MARK >
19:00
     My cheek stung as my father yelled at me. I avoided making eye contact with him as I cradled my cheek in my hand.

"Really?! You really think that this is acceptable?!" He shouted, waving a paper in my face. It was my research paper that I got an eighty-eight on, the highest in the class. Sadly, this wasn't good enough for dear old dad. I winced as he began to scream again. "How are you supposed to get a scholarship when you get grades like this?! ARE YOU EVEN LISTENING?!" He bellowed, punching me in the stomach and kicking me onto the ground. "YOU'RE A DISGRACE!" He kicked me continuously, the old bruises reminding me that I wasn't fully healed from last time. I whimpered and covered my head, waiting for it to be over. After what felt like years but was probably only a few minutes, I felt the kicking stop and listened as the front door slammed.

"Enjoy the strip club," I mumbled after him. "Maybe this time they'll recognize you. Or maybe you'll get a shi- crappy bartender. And alcohol poisoning. I don't think I'd mind. Especially if you got stuck there sick." I slowly got up, wiping the blood from my lip. I picked up my semi crinkled paper and slung my backpack over my sore and bruising shoulder as I made my way upstairs. I didn't need to use crutches anymore or even where my brace, but because my father had kicked me several times in my bad ankle (I assumed it was on purpose, he likes to be effective and efficient when hurting me,) I decided to slide the brace back on after I showered. Dropping my bag and paper at my desk, I grabbed a towel and proceeded to check the damage as well as shower. Looking into the mirror, I noticed how my eye was only swelling slightly, but my cheek was already bruising. Good thing it's Friday, I thought, it should hopefully clear up by Monday. Or else I'll just skip. I sighed and pulled off my shirt, my ribs an array of colors and full of pain. More bruises were scattered across my pale skin and I gave up on hoping that the damage had been minor. I looked at my ankle and noticed the swelling and discoloration, which made me wince. Sliding off the rest of my clothes I jumped into the shower and washed myself as per usual. I got out and put on sweats, a hoodie and my ankle brace, grabbing my phone and sitting at my desk. I was startled when I my ringtone went off and a message from Jackson of all people lit up my screen. Sure, we were friends now, but we rarely spoke to each other outside of school.

From: Jackson :), 19:37
Hey Mark, can you come over?
I'm a mess rn, ngl.
Idk who else to ask.
I'm sorry.

I panicked.

To: Jackson :), 19:43
Sorry, I didn't hear my phone go off until now, I was in the shower.
I can come over, I'll be there soon.
What's wrong?

From: Jackson :), 19:44
Please just hurry.

Now I was terrified. Yanking on my sneakers, I quickly wrote a note to my father. Sure, I was in a rush, but I didn't feel like getting my ass absolutely fried if he came home before I was back.

Dad,
Mrs. Martin called, she said she needed my help moving some boxes. I'll be home as soon as I can, I promise.
Sorry for the late notice, my phone did the thing again where it pretends it's broken.
Mark

I grabbed my key and ran out, locking the door and stuffing my key in my pocket as I grabbed my phone out of the other, calling Mrs. Martin.