"Red or red?" Michelle asks, holding up two tubes of lipstick. One is fairly lighter than the other. I point to it. "Yeah, that one matches your skin tone."

I'm forced to sit in the chair for ten minutes total. It wasn't that bad, aside from Michelle trying to be quick and occasionally rubbing something off my skin.

It only takes a few more minutes for Michelle to quickly do her makeup in the mirror. Eric is still standing, since he didn't want to sit in the suit. Michelle quickly pulls both ribbons holding our curled hair out of our faces and we're out the door.

Eric drives to the party. All of the parents usually know about these, so there's never alcohol. Once in awhile, one kid will sneak in a bottle but they usually don't share nor finish it.

Music isn't very loud either. Granted, it's only the senior and junior classes in one average sized house. We generally prefer talking.

As the car rolls to a park, I wonder what Peter would say if he saw us now. Probably some smart-aleck comment about Eric and why Michelle is dressing like that too.

I don't want to get out of the car. I know Michelle and Eric are really looking forward to socializing, but I'm not. Part of me just wants to crawl back into bed. I don't think it has anything to do with our choice of costume, more like all of the stuff that's been happening lately.

Regardless, I open my door and get out. I pull the back of the skirt down and follow the two up to the door. Everyone is singing along to Sweet Caroline, surprise surprise. Our town is full of classic rocks and eighties music fans, since that's what our parents listened to when they were younger. Every CD from that time period is owned by at least one of the families. You want a song, it's not hard to find.

When I was younger, maybe around seven years old, a band called Cheap Trick came to the fair held in the city over. Ever since then, we all listen to their music. It didn't surprise me when I Want You To Want Me came on next and we all sang along.

Eric handed a guy three dollar bills so we could all have bottles of root beer. Later, some people are probably going to start a game of spin the bottle truth or dare and someone will end up squirting ketchup from a bottle into their mouth.

I tried to twist the cap off, but without any sleeves, it was proving to be quite difficult. It was actually pretty cold, too.

"I got you," Eric says, popping the caps off of my and Michelle's root beer bottles. Then the three of us hold up our bottles and say "cheers."

"Cheers to senior year!" I offer.

"Cheers to being pregnant!" Michelle follows.

"Cheers to friends." Eric kisses my head, then pulls Michelle in and does the same.

The rest of the night consists of laughing, talking, more root beer, and memories. Eventually, I found the host and asked him for a 7 Up since my stomach started feeling weird. He gave me a can and I asked Eric if he could drop me off at home.

Michelle came with us, but went back to the party with Eric. I was alright with it. If they want to go out and have fun, that's on them.

I threw on my sweatshirt before I went inside. Chances are my parents aren't back yet, since it's only eight, but better safe than sorry.

I walked up to the door until Eric's headlights were no longer on me. That was when I pulled the keys out of my purse and went over to my car. I decided to go see Peter.

While the car warmed up, I swallowed the last gulp of my soda and set the now-empty can inside the cup holder. I couldn't hear the radio, so I turned it up. Spirit song Missing You by John Waite came on. My eyes watered. Every sad song links to Simon. Even though John says he isn't missing whoever the song is about.