1

Jaycee POV

My sister Jaime and I are sitting in the lounge room waiting for our parents to come home. They told us be home by 5.30 because they have an announcement to make.

I want to be with Sven.

The front door opens and my parents enter the small house we own. Jaime and I rise and wait for them to be seated. We take our seats across from them.

Mum looks at us. "You may sit."

Jaime and I sit on the lounge.

Dad smiles. "Jaycee, sweetheart. I have an early Christmas present to give you."

I raise my eyebrows.

What could the old man give me that I don't already have?

Mum claps her hands and bounces on the lounge. "Tell her." She grins like a Cheshire cat.

Dad leans forward in his chair. "You're getting married on Christmas."

My mouth drops open.

No! This can't be happening to me.

I rise and look at my parents. "No! No, I'm not going to get married. I don't want to be A Wife for Christmas. How much do you owe this family?"

Dad shakes his head. "We don't owe him anything. If you get married to him my store will have more products added to it and we won't have to live like this."

I move towards him. "Your company is doing fine. You gave me the accounts to look over."

He shakes his head. "I'm going bust, sweetheart. This house is close to being taken away from us. You need to marry Zeke Collins on Christmas Day or the 28th we won't have a house to live in. Do you really want to see our family on the Streets?"

I'd rather live on the streets than have to marry Zeke Collins.

I shake my head. "No! I'm going to spend the night at my boyfriend's place. I won't be back."

I run upstairs and pack an overnight bag. I walk downstairs and hear my parents shouting at each other.

I pick up my house keys and leave the house.

***

At Sven's place I park my car on the side of the road. I see an unknown car in the driveway.

I wonder who owns the car.

Sven's neighbour runs over to me. "Hey, Jaycee. I wrote a new song. Do you want to come over and listen to it?"

I shake my head. "Not, today, Zac. I really need to see Sven."

He goes onto his knees and begs me to go over. "Please, please, pretty please with a cherry on top."

Fine.

I sigh. "Alright, just the one song and then I need to see my boyfriend."

Zac grabs my arms and pulls me towards the house. He pushes the door open to the basement. "Make yourself comfy."

I sit on the lounge.

Zac pulls his guitar out of the case and he tunes in the guitar. He strums the strings and his beautiful voice fills the small room.

He watches me as he moves around the room, playing for me.

When the song finishes I applaud. I rise and hug him. "That was great. When are you playing again?"

He smiles. "I'm playing tonight. Do you want to come with me to Collin's Bar?"

I'm going to have a hard time getting away from that name.