Chapter 33: Mistakes Aren't Always Bad

Start from the beginning

“I think the feather on your foot is extremely sexy babe.” Soda said to me.  I had a feather tattooed on the side of my left foot.  I got it when I was about fifteen or sixteen.  I was turning twenty in four months. 

We were getting ready for bed.  Soda already was in bed with his boxers and white t-shirt on.  I was really self-conscious about my weight and body during this whole pregnancy.  Sodapop was egging on getting romantic tonight.

“No, I have horrible stretch marks.  You don’t wanna see that.” I tried to tell him.  My stomach popped out more than my toes and I had lines on my hips, my ankles were the size of baseballs, I no longer had my thigh gap, and I gained atleast fifteen pounds.  

“Baby, I don’t care what you look like.  You’re beautiful no matter what.  Now let me look at my babies.”  He insisted. 

I crawled into bed beside him.  He petted my arm still trying to convince me.  Soda turned me over and my belly could barely fit between us and we just started laughing.  I got out a couple words, “See…I told you!”

I was now eight months along and I quit smoking and drinking for the time being which I was proud of myself for and I was working my lunch shift at the Dingo.  Dally was standing outside of the diner when I was taking a pile of trash out. 

“Hey Dal.  You getting lunch soon?” I asked him.

He puffed his cigarette, “Yeah, what’s the special?”

“Barbecue Ribs.  Hey, would you give me a puff?” I indicated the cigarette. 

“No way you’re about to have that baby.” He protested.

“C’mon man,” I knew I wasn’t going to get anywhere, “Alright fine, put it out and I set you up an order.”  I said walking back inside to go wait on a couple more tables. 

I was in the middle of an order when I felt a huge sharp pain in my stomach.  I almost fell down, but didn’t and excuse myself and hurried behind the counter.  “Christie, cover for me.” I ordered her and she rushed to the other table.  I was in serious pain and sat down in the back as Sally came to my side.  Basically, the entire diner was looking behind the counter to see what was going on.  Sally had me sitting in a chair and was grabbing me a warm paper towel.  “Either the seat was wet before I sat down or I just peed myself.” I told Sally.

She smiled and told me, “Your water just broke.  You’re going into labor! Isn’t this exciting? 

“No!” I screamed back at her clenching my very pregnant belly.  I big pain filled my belly and it was unbearable. 

“Good, you’re having a contraction.” She said timing her watch.  They kept on coming and becoming more excruciating.  “Three minutes apart, we’re going to the hospital.”  Sally helped me up, but I couldn’t walk the pain was that bad.  I would go four steps then fall.  Dally was startled and came rushing to my aid.  At this point I was practically screaming bloody murder it hurt that bad.

“She needs to go to the hospital.  She’s in labor.”  Sally told Dally. 

“I’ll take her.” He said scooping me up and carrying me out the door and to his car.  We started off to the hospital, but I stopped him.

“Go to the DX and get Soda,” he gave me a funny look, “NOW!” I had enough of this and I just wanted this baby out one way or another.   Dally followed my orders and we sped down to the DX station.  Dally hollered at Steve asking him where Soda was, but he didn’t know where he was.  He thought he might’ve gone home or to the Dingo.  I let out another cry of pain and Dally called it quits and drove me immediately to the hospital no matter how much I begged. 

I was checked in and about to deliver when Sodapop burst through the door in his greasy uniform.  He rushed to my side and comforted me.  I was sweating like crazy and had incredible contractions that seemed to last forever.  The doctor told me that I was ten centimeters dilated and it was time to push.  I pushed and pushed as hard as I can and the doctor kept telling me to push harder and breathe.  The pain was unbearable and it was like pushing out a brick.  Soda was into in and had my knee pinned up while the other nurse had the other one and watched our baby girl come into the world.  It was reassuring to hear her let out a wail. 

“It’s a girl!” the doctor called as he held up our baby for us to see.  The nurses cleaned her off and wrapped her up in a pink blanket and handed her to me.  Her eyes were still shut, but she had her fingers wrapped around mine.  It was that most amazing moment in my life that words couldn’t describe.  I made this human being and I’m holding my daughter.  The baby that was supposedly lost was now here was our miracle baby. Soda was in tears and so was I as we looked at our child.  I handed her over to her daddy and Soda cradled her forever.

“She looks like her mother.” He said kissing me, “Good job mommy.”

She spit up on Sodapop’s sleeve, “And takes after her daddy.” I said smiling. 

“What’s her name?” the nurse asked.

We both looked at each other and nodded in unison and I said, “May Carol Curtis." 

The nurse took down the info and the gang walked through the door.  Soda greeted them and took a round of pats and fist bumps.  “Seven pounds, eight ounces.  October 25th at 7:18 at night.” He said patting Darry on the back.

I introduced her to all the guys, “This is Uncle Darry, Uncle Pony, Uncle Dally, Uncle Steve, Two-Bit, Johnny.”  They all held her and passed her around the room like a football.

“Does this mean we’re going to have a crying baby at two in the morning?” Ponyboy asked. 

“Well yes, but how could you be mad at this bundle of joy?” I handed him May and Pony was putty in her hands.  Looks like Ponyboy was going to get used to being an uncle real quick.

“I still don’t get it.” Steve said referring to May 

I sighed, “We never lost her earlier in the pregnancy, it was just a big misunderstanding stupid.” I told him.

Everybody left and Soda and I were left to dress May.  Sodapop was in charge of putting on her diaper, but put it on backwards so I had to save the day.  We drove away from the hospital with our newborn daughter.  We were both scared out of our minds because neither of us knew a thing about babies. 

I carried her in her carrier through the threshold of the house and Soda followed with the bags, “This is where you going to live May.” I was holding her in my arms now and walked her through the house.  Sodapop caught up with us and gave us both a congratulatory kiss.  This was the type of family I’ve been craving for the past years, but nothing could’ve prepared us for the next weeks. 

 A/N: Hi! ik its been like a week since last update and ill probs update around saturday sunday cause im not at home and surrounded by actual people.  Just wanted to thank everyone whos voting/commenting/ following etc because this story is all from an idea in my head and now its this! The storys wrapping up and im really sad but ill try to continue it for as long as i can!! PLEASE COMMENT IDEAS PLEASE PLEASE PRETTY PLEASE PWEASE!!! Hugs&Kisses my pretties