Chapter 17: To Kill a Mockingbird

The beams of sunlight shone threw the white curtains in the room.  Sodapop’s arm hung over my waist.  Our feet stuck out from the covers at the end of the bed.  He wiggled around in the bed grabbing hold of my hand and rubbed my knuckles. 

“Did I wake you?” I asked smiling at his lips. 

He stretched pulling his arms above his head, then leaned in and kissed me quickly. “Nope.” He said. 

I rolled over onto his bare chest and pushed myself up.  “So what are you doing today?" 

“I got work at 11,” he replied.

Glancing at the clock, I turned back to my boyfriend, “Its 11:05.” 

“SHIT!” He hollered jumping out of bed and running over to his jeans.  Throwing his pants on, Soda searched around for his DX shirt.  “If I’m late again, Buck said he’d dock my pay.  Love you!” He hurried out the door. 

“Love you too!” I yelled back, doubting he could hear me.  I was alone in the house.  Darry was at work and Ponyboy was hanging around with Johnny.  My hair was a mess; it stuck out at my ears and flicked up in the back.  I inspected myself in the mirror, fiddling with Soda’s long sleeve shirt that was and extra large.  It went all the way down to my knees and I had to roll up the sleeve just to see my hands.  The light blue striped shirt was ripped at the shoulder and exposed me shoulder blade.  I walked out into the living room and found the radio.  Since I was alone, I cranked up the volume and it blared some Rolling Stones song.  I started singing along as I danced into the kitchen to get some chocolate cake for breakfast. 

“I CAN’T GET NO SATISFACTION!” I sang, “Bum bum bum bumm bum da dum” I hummed trying to go along with the bass. 

I heard clapping erupt from the doorway.  It was Ponyboy.  “Oh sorry Ponyboy, I thought I was alone.”  I said. 

“Encore, encore.  I liked it.” He smiled. 

“So, uhh, I feel like I haven’t seen you lately.  What’s been going on?” I asked trying to move on. 

“Nothing much.  Movies and books I guess.”  He responded pulling up a seat at the table. 

“Yeah, what book are you reading now?”  I pulled up a chair across from him. 

“To Kill a Mockingbird." 

“Never heard of it.”

“It’s pretty good.” 

“Is it for school or?”

“School, I guess.  My English teacher thought I would enjoy it.”

“Let me ask you something Ponyboy.” I twiddled my thumbs together, “Why do you like reading so much?”

He shrugged, “I don’t know, I just like it.”

“It’s cause you’re smart.” I said huffing. 

“I ain’t that smart.” He said trying to grin discreetly. 

“Shoot, you make better grades than I do and I’m almost three years older than you.” I paused seeing that he was starting to blush, “What are you doing today?” I asked. 

“I was going to go over and visit Johnny, why?” he asked.

“You going now?” I said turning my head.

“Yeah.”

“Pity, I was gonna say we go spark some trouble before I go to work.” I said.

“I couldn’t do that anyway.  Those people from the state are still watching us.  I still gotta be careful not to mess around with the law.  You know how Darry gets.” He answered quickly not wanting to touch the subject.