Chapter 33

Dinnertime came and went with the same pattern of discussion: what to do. Running was dismissed before it was even suggested as Demetrious had a reach that encompassed most of the continents in some form or other. As it stood, only he and Morag knew of Callie's existence and if they made a run for it then he would involve his allies in his search for her and the news would spread. Their only choices were to either deny everything or fight him.

By 9pm, the flaming sky had lost its streaks of orange and red, gradually fading to violet, and further blending into velvety inky blackness. Only the occasional cloud remained to mar the otherwise perfect view of the Earth's diamond-encrusted blanket. Callie lay in the crook of Sam's arm on the sun lounge he dragged from the conservatory and placed in the middle of the front lawn - away from the lights of the house. They gazed at each of the constellations, Sam pointing out several obvious clusters like Orion and Taurus.

All Callie wanted was an hour where she didn't have to think about anything. An hour without demons or witches. No wolves or lions. But most of all, no impending doom. Out of the corner of her eye, she caught sight of a shooting star, its tail lingering for a second after she focused on it. The rhyme she used to say as a child sprang immediately to her thoughts and she chanted it in her mind.

Star light, star bright,

Hear the wish I make tonight

I wish I may, I wish I might

Grant me strength to end this fight

Blindingly bright car lights sweeping through the open gates disturbed her reverie. Their reprieve was over. The approaching car carried three replacement shifters and the time to set up the rouse had arrived. Unwinding herself from Sam's arms, she stood, her gaze following the lights as they made their journey up the sweeping lane, stopping only when they reached the garage at the side of the house. Lights blinked out and doors slammed a second later. Sam took her hand, and together they made their way across the damp grass to greet their guests.

"Sir," A tall blonde man said, shaking Sam's hand. "Leo, the lion shifter." At Callie's escaped snort of laughter, he sheepishly added, "Me Mam was a huge fan of Leonardo De Caprio and me Da had a very cruel sense of humour." He shrugged. "These two are Tristan and Ash, wolf and puma."

Sam shook both their hands. "Thank you all for coming at such short notice. You understand the situation is extremely dangerous for all of us and the less you know about it, the safer you will be when Demetrious gets here. I'll fill you in on what I can once you're settled in," he said in welcome. "Brian," he turned to the approaching man. "This is Leo, Tristan, and Ash. Would you mind showing them to their rooms? Then join us in the kitchen in say... an hour?"

"Sure thing boss. Guys, grab your bags and follow me." He led them through the back door, through the hall and into the main kitchen. "Do not under any circumstance touch anything in this room. Cook will skin you alive if you so much as move a pan without his say so," he warned. "Through here is our kitchen space. The fridge and cupboards are well stocked with snacks and soft drinks. Anytime you fancy it just help yourself. Cook will regularly leave us pastries and it's first come first served. But be warned, if you eat mine you'll lose a hand." The three visibly relaxed with their shared laughter. "I'm not kidding," he added with a stern look.

Leading the way up the back stairs to the first floor, he pointed out each door as they passed. "These first five rooms are empty at the moment. This is Sidney's room - you'll meet her shortly. This is Stephan and Liz's room - guests who you'll also meet soon. The next two rooms are ours. We share both a bedroom and a living room, well more of a recreation room. It has a pool table, 50" plasma TV and possibly every game console and game on the market," he boasted. "And finally, through here are the beds, pick any except that one - it's mine. Bathroom is through that door. Oh! End of the hall is Callie, the chick from downstairs and Sam is right above on the upper floor...Any questions?"