Chapter 27

Sidney sped off. Dust and bits of gravel dinging off the glass drew Callie's attention to the window, where she saw the glare of the sun dance off the highly polished surface of Sidney's black Audi as it raced down the driveway.

"Something's got Sidney's knickers in a knot," she said to the empty room.

"I think she's just worried about Sam," said an unexpected deep growl from the doorway. "She's been with him a long time now, and I believe this is the first time she's seen him hurt so badly."

Callie spun to face the shifter who had fed Sam from his wrist the day before. "Hi, I didn't hear you come in."

"Obviously," he said, sarcastically. He came further into the room and stepped up to look out the other window. He didn't take his eyes from her until he reached his destination and even then, he used the reflection in the glass to track her movements as she turned away.

"How is Sam this morning? I haven't been allowed to see him yet," she asked, casually brushing her fingers lightly along the vertical spines standing proud on the closest bookshelf, subconsciously noting that they were all first editions.

"Good. He's improved a little this morning."

Callie was unsure if he had meant good to her not seeing Sam, or if it was his condition that was good. "And how do you feel? You donated a lot of blood yesterday. Shouldn't you be resting?" She glanced at him from the corner of her eye.

He smiled, showing a lot of teeth, and shrugged off her concern. Callie had a feeling it wasn't a friendly smile. "I heal particularly fast - even for a shifter."

They fell into an awkward silence and Callie felt an almost overwhelming urge to leave the room. The shifter wasn't being openly hostile toward her, but she was aware of some sort of resentment directed at her. She wasn't one for leaving things unfinished.

"I have a feeling you don't like me much," she said bluntly.

"That would be because I don't," he replied, equally as blunt.

She folded her arms in front of her chest. "Would you care to enlighten me to the reason for that?"

"What do you care?" He snarled.

"I don't really, but considering we've only met I was wondering if you make snap judgements about everyone or do have something personal against me?"

"Look, I saw what you did to Sam first-hand. The way you looked at me yesterday, it was as if I was nothing but a blood bag for your supper, so don't you dare come off with your high-and-mighty, little-Miss-Innocent act with me. I can see right through you."

"This is personal then. I'm sorry if you feel I didn't control the blood lust very well. Or do you feel that way about the others too?"

"Leave Sidney and Sam out of this. They're nothing like you. They respect the shifters," he snapped. "Ha! Blood lust my ass! Only the new ones suffer that for a year or so. If you'd had blood lust, you'd have ripped us all apart to get it. You are nothing but the worst type of parasite," he all but ground out through his teeth.

Callie thrust her hands on her hips and stared him down. "You think you know everything, don't you?" She moved toward him slowly. "Well I have news for you, Mr. what-ever-your-name-is. You know sweet Fanny Adams about me." She stood toe to toe with him and looked him in the eye before poking him in the chest with her first two fingers, accentuating her every word. "Get. Your. Facts. Right. Before. You. Throw. Accusations. Around."

She stomped from the room in a hurry only to collide with the third male who had been in her house the day before, knocking both an apple from his hand and several pictures off their hooks. He grabbed her arms to steady her, but she pulled herself from his grip with a muttered thanks as she ran off up the hall in search of the kitchen.