Chapter 31

"Sam! Sam wake up!" Sidney cried, shaking him roughly. "Come on! You have to wake up, they're almost here."

Sam groggily opened his eyes and looked around the room. "Where's the fire?" he croaked with a sleep-roughened voice, using both his arms to push himself up.

"Morag's coming. She's only a few minutes away."

"What the hell is she coming here for?"

"I'll explain while you dress." She pulling the duvet from him. "Hurry!"

The room spun as he swung his legs over the side of the bed and he clasped both his hands to his head in an attempt to stop it. He forced himself to stand, gripping the chair beside the bed for support. "Well. I'm up, start explaining."

She puffed a rust coloured bang of hair from her face. "I went to see Stephan and Liz yesterday," she began. "Some things have developed with Callie. When she was hurt I made her feed from Nico and now she can make him shift forms."

"She is not his mate." He frowned. "She's mine."

"Apparently...Stephan thinks she may be something else, but he needs to confirm his suspicions. Anyway, he caught one of his donors trying to sneak out during the night and when confronted she revealed that Morag had made her spy on them and report any suspicious activity. She informed her of the conversation we had about Callie and what we suspect." She helped him pull his trousers up past his knees. "She must have flown straight over on the first flight this morning."

"What do you suspect of Callie?" He shrugged into his shirt, starting with the top buttons while Sidney buttoned from the bottom.

"Stephan thinks she's an Enchantress." He raised his eyebrows in question. "Someone who can control any conscious being by making them fall in love with her," she explained. "It might be her bite because the three shifters she fed from have fallen ass over tit for her overnight... Crap, Morag's right outside. We're out of time." She raced from the room and down the two flights of stairs to the front door. She schooled her features and plastered a fake smile to her lips as she flung the door open.

"Morag, how lovely to see you. Come in please." She stepped back, allowing her entrance. "To what do we owe the honour of this unexpected visit?"

Morag shook her umbrella and handed it to the man standing on the porch behind her. "Do try not to drip on the floor, Arthur," she chastised him as rainwater ran in streams down his face from his soaked hair and dripped from his water-logged jacket. His shoes squelched as he stepped forward to take her offering.

I wouldn't have to worry if you didn't insist on this atrocious weather everywhere you go! he broadcast loudly, his disgruntled thoughts slamming into Sidney's mind.

"Where is your Sire?" Morag asked, intentionally evading Sidney's question.

Telepathically prodding the woman's mind, Sidney attempted to find the answer but saw nothing, her shields were too strong and any more force would be felt.

"Getting dressed I believe," Sidney answered. "Had we known you were coming, he would have greeted you himself." She smiled at the elder. Callie stay where you are, I'm sending the boys in to you, she broadcast. Nico and Mike, you stay with Callie in the library. Chris, follow Arthur and make sure he doesn't get too nosy. Brian, you're with me.

Sam walked with purpose along the balcony overlooking the foyer, trailing his fingers along the polished wood of the handrail. He consciously made an effort to make it look like he didn't need the support and steeled his strength for his descent down the wide staircase.

"Morag," he greeted when he reached the bottom. He crossed the large expanse of open space to grip her shoulders and air-kissed her cheeks. "Shall we retire..."

Front parlour, Sidney whispered in his head.

"...to the front parlour for refreshments?" Sam asked, without pause.

Morag laced her arm through Sam's proffered one. "Always the gentleman Sam," she mused. "I've heard news that you have found your mate at long last and wish to pay my respects to the lucky young thing who finally turned your head."

"Ah, news travels fast these days." He chuckled appropriately. "She's resting at the moment. I'm sure she would be honoured to meet you when she's feeling up to it."

Disconnecting himself from her arm as they entered the front room, he spoke into the intercom beside the door. "Robert, please bring a bottle of this morning's harvest to the front parlour. Three glasses please, we have a guest," Sam said as a cue to Robert to bring out the good Waterford crystal flutes.

Brian, still in his huge grizzly form, shouldered his way through the double doors and took up residence in front of the empty fireplace - remaining equidistant from both Sam and Sidney. A short time later, Robert appeared with a tray containing three glasses and a frost-coated, deep-red bottle from which he proceeded to pour the contents into the flutes. Handing one to each, their guest first, he bowed his head to Sam and left the room without uttering a single word.

"Let's not beat around the bush Sam. Your young bride-to-be is something of a conundrum, is she not?" Morag raised her brows, challenging him to correct her. "Or are my sources wrong?"

"I have no idea what you're implying Morag. Please elaborate?" He took a huge gulp from the blooded glass, fearing he would need more of his strength before the visit ended.

She sneered at him. "Very well. My source is under the impression that your mate is more than you make her out to be. That she has some sort of control over them." She pointed at Brian.

Tell her to compel him. Sidney silently sent him.

Sam smiled at Morag. "You have the strongest compulsion this side of Europe, why don't you ask Brian yourself?" He turned to him and called him closer with a wave of his hand. "Brian, would you mind answering some questions?"

The bear shrugged and shook his head.

"This is absurd. How can he answer in animal form?"

"Ask questions that require yes or no answers," Sam supplied.

She tutted. "Fine...Bear look into my eyes...you will answer truthfully."

Brian nodded - he had no choice; she had compelled with a single glance.

"Is Sam's mate resting?"

He nodded - she was sound asleep the last he saw her.

"Does she have any control over you?" He shook his head.

"Can she make you shift?"

Again, he shook his head.

"Can she make any of the others change forms?"

He shook his head with a shrug was so small it was almost un-noticeable - he had no idea whether she could or not.

"You can go now." Morag frowned and shot a look at Sidney who just sipped from her glass looking completely un-concerned. She then spun to settle her stare on Sam. "Hmm, I smell a rat...I'll take my leave for now but be assured I will return when Demetrius gets in from the Philippines tomorrow evening. Have your mate ready for visitors and your animals in human form."

She stood and turned on her heel to make her long overcoat swing out around her in a very dramatic fashion. The front door slammed behind her as she left. Callie, Nico, Mike and Chris all filed into the room after her car had taken off at high speed down the driveway.

"We are so screwed!" Sidney exclaimed, flopping down on the chaise-longue.

"I think it's about time to fill everyone in," Sam suggested, searching for his phone in his jacket pockets. "I'll ask Stephan to come over too because I'd also like to know what the hell is going on."