Don't Let Go

-James's POV-

I was so relieved that she would be okay. I laid on the bed with her. She looked so lifeless. I watched her chest rise up and down hoping it would never stop.

I spoke too soon...

I looked at Amber in fear that she died in my arms. Amber's face was pale white. Her hands were frozen like icicles hanging from the gutters of a house and she was sweating like crazy. I started to shake her, she didn't wake. I shook her even more, she didn't move a muscle.

"Logan! Get in here now!"

Logan came running in freaking out.

"We need to get her to the hospital. She doesn't have a pulse."

I picked her up and brought her to the car. The officer offered to drive us to the hospital. Logan followed behind us. I was holding her in my arms praying she will be okay. Once we got on the highway, we got stuck in traffic. The officer put his sirens on and he got through the traffic. Logan couldn't follow us so he was stuck. We finally got to the hospital, I put her on the bed and they took her away. I tried to chase her, but the office held me back. He sat me down on a chair and sat next to me.

"Hey. You're very lucky. Did you know that? She's one special girl to have someone like you. I have to get back to the station. Come see me if you need anything."

He handed me his card and left the hospital. I sat in the waiting room freaking out, I couldn't handle it. I walked down the hall looking for Amber. She was not in any of the rooms. I dropped to my knees. I felt like I was in a nightmare where I was running down the same hospital hallway and no one was there. I tried to scream but no one heard me.

"Why does this have to happen?"

I ran into a bathroom and started pacing back and forth. I had so much built up anger that I punched the wall several times that my hand started bleeding. I left the bathroom feeling a little better but not not knowing where she was caused me more frustration. As I turned a corner I ran into a nurse. She looked down and saw my hand.

"Sir, what happened?"

"Could you help me please?"

"Come with me."

I followed her down to a private room. She looked at my hand covered in more blood than before.

"Luckily, none of the cuts are super deep. I'm going to clean your hand and wrap it up."

"Thank you. Do you by chance know what room Amber is in?"

"Yes, I am one of her nurses. I'll bring you to her after I wrap you up."

"Thank you so much."

She wrapped my hand in a bandage and brought me to the room Amber was in. When I saw her, my heart dropped and I fell on my knees. Amber's face was pale white. Her skin was cold as ice. I trembled over to her bed and gently held her hand. It was cold, I hated it. The whole room was silent besides all the beeping from the machines, I looked back at the nurse.

"Will she be okay?"

"We don't know. She's not responsive right now. We won't know for a while. It was really bad, we had to put a tube down her throat, we're breathing for her. I'm sorry."

I looked at her. I felt my heart stop. Now, I wanted my heart to stop. I walked around the room for anything sharp until...

"JAMES!"

It went black.

The Next Day

-Still James' POV-

I woke up on a bed in a somewhat empty room. I sat up looking around the room. The tv was on, I wonder if the boys were in here watching tv and keeping her company. I turned to my right realizing I'm laying with Amber.

"Hey James."

I can't believe it, she's okay. She didn't have the tube down her throat. I pulled her into my arms and held her for what felt like an eternity, I didn't want to let her go. I felt like I woke up from a nightmare that never ended no matter how many times I tried to wake up. The other boys walked into the room relieved to see me okay.

"James, why do you have a bandage on your hand?"

"It's nothing you need to know about. All I know is you're okay."

She knew something was up, I'll tell her later.

"Hi Amber and James. How are you two holding up?"

"We're okay."

"So, Amber. I don't want to tell you this. But, we have to do blood work. It's not much but we just got to see what's going on."

Her face went pale white. I know how much blood work freaked her out because her anxiety goes up and she sometimes faints. This time, I won't let that happen to her. The doctor came back with small containers and a needle attached to a pipe. I saw Amber breathing faster than usual. I pulled her into my arms and held her. She started to calm down a bit more but not enough. So the boys and I started to sing to her. That calmed her down right away. In about 30 seconds, it was done. She stayed in my arms and cried. I hated seeing her like this, it breaks my heart. It took her awhile to calm down. DThe doctor came back into the room.

"While the bloodwork is at the lab, we need to get an X-ray of your leg and chest. Is that okay?"

She nodded her head. Logan picked her up. She became really clingy. He placed her on the bed and she didn't want to let go. He stayed right next to her the whole time. After about thirty minutes, the X-rays were done. Logan brought her back to her room, a different doctor came in with a machine.

"Hi Amber. My name is Maddie and I will be checking your breathing."

She hooked Amber up to the machine and we waited. After an hour, she finished the tests, the nurse looked at us and said,

"Congratulations, you no longer need the oxygen anymore."

She looked at me with the biggest smile. All she had to use was an inhaler. That's it. All we were waiting for was the X-rays. The other doctor who took her x-rays walked in with a smile.

"You're all healed. But you will have crutches just in case. You are allowed to walk on it with a little pressure. We're also going to give you a knee brace so that way if it flares up, just put it on and it will help your knee stay in place."

"Why was I in so much pain?"

"From the fall, not only did you break your knee cap, but you also shifted it. So that's why it was in so much pain."

We all started freaking out with so much excitement. No more oxygen and no more broken leg. I felt so relieved about everything. The nurse returned to our room with the release papers, we can finally go home.

"Hope you both feel better and Merry Christmas."

Oh, I completely forgot. Tomorrow is Christmas Eve. We drove home in peace with a little Christmas music on. When we got home, Amber got out of the car.

"Here, I'll carry you."

"No, it's fine. I need to walk on it to strengthen the muscle. If I need you, I'll holler."

I was right behind her with my hands on her waist to make sure she doesn't fall. She made it to the front door of the hotel and gave up. I carried her inside and up to our room so we could go to bed. We looked at the time and it was midnight. We all went to our rooms and fell fast asleep excited for a new day.