seven

"Michael,"

Michael spent the night at Calum's house, because his parents weren't home and he said he missed Calum a lot. Sure, they were two best friends that you can't ever separate. But that was then, now the situation is different since Calum's behavior has changed.

Michael turned to Calum, eating the pizza rolls.

As he turned to Calum, he saw something. Pain. Fear. Guilt. Regrets. It was all in Calum's eyes. Michael's eyes widened in realization. The old puppy Calum had gone.

"Cal, you're not okay."

As Michael stated it, Calum smiled. For the first time, someone knows. For the first time, someone realized. For the first time, someone could really notice the pain in his eyes without him having to explain it. Or without asking that stupid question of "are you okay" over and over.

"Thank you," Calum mumbled.

"What happened?" Michael asked. It was clear that he didn't hear Calum thanked him, but he was worrying about Calum.

"I'm just ...." Calum sighed. "I don't know."

Michael stared at him, frowned. "Talk to me."

Calum turned to Michael again. Seeing him frowning just saddens Calum even more. He didn't want anyone to be sad or worry. His mom, his best friend, his girlfriend. He wanted them all to be okay, unlike him.

"I'm just ... I don't know, Michael. I can't explain." Calum sighed, trying to hold back the tears while he hasn't even explain anything. "One little thing ... makes me so ... miserable. I'm crying over everything, I'm just ... a mess."

Michael stared at Calum in sadness, while Calum tried to wipe his tears. "Why?"

"I don't even know," he sniffled.

"Calum, you're my best friend. I'll always love you."

"I know," he sighed. "I just ... damn. I always fuck up. I was born to be like this ... I was ... shit."

"It's okay. It's going to be okay."

"I'm not even sure about it," Calum sighed again.

"Okay, maybe I can help you a bit," Michael smiled. "You care too much, Cal. You overthink. Stop it."

"Make me."

Michael exhaled a breath. "Stop giving so many fucks about everything, Cal. All you have to care about is yourself. Stop caring about others."

Calum stared at Michael in disbelief.

"No."

"Yes. That's the only way."

His idea was mean. It might probably work, but it's just not a person Calum is. Calum thinks he's selfish, but not as selfish as that.

"It doesn't work that way," Calum sighed, suddenly not wanting to talk to the red haired boy.

"It does, trust me." Michael replied. "Remember my ex girlfriend, Alanna? She was hurting me a lot, but I loved her. The pain stopped when I stopped loving her. And I can stop when I really don't care anymore."

Calum's eyes widened in fury. "Are you saying that Haley caused all of this?"

Michael sighed. "I don't know. Maybe?"

Calum felt like he want to punch Michael in the face. But he's a good person, so he just laid on the bed with his back facing Michael.

He was wrong. Telling Michael wasn't a good idea at all.

*