Chapter Four

My heart filled with fear, and the doorknob stiffened beneath my fingers as I heard it click, locking. I looked at Jason, narrowing my eyes.

"What do you want?" I hissed.

He smiled, and suddenly I went weak. My legs were shaking and most of the things around my room went blurry. Jason was one of the things that stayed sharp and clear.

"Oh, nothing really," he said in answer to my question. He waved his hand around, carefree. "You know, what most people want."

"What do most people want, Jason?" I whispered.

His smile got bigger and my head pounded. I could tell he was enjoying himself. I put a hand on my forehead, and realized I was sweating, and yet I was freezing.

"What do most people want?" He asked, and his smile disappeared so sudddenly, it was like it had never been there. "Most people want you."

And then Jason was gone.

Jason's face was burned into my mind. It was etched so deep that I couldn't get his voice out of my head. When I saw David, I don't even think he realized something was up. Not that he could've done much.

In every class I thought I saw Jason out of the corner of my eye, but when I twisted around he was never there. He scared me so badly, my stomach knotted when I thought about him.

But then I remembered what Jason had said, knowing about my father.

"You've been kinda distant since that party," said David. "Did something happen?" He looked worried.

"No," was all I could say.

He looked concerned, but knew enough to drop the subject.

"So..." he started. "There was that, uh, math test today."

I looked at him, amused.

"I failed," he said, which made me laugh. He was terrible at math.

"You always do. Tell me something I don't know."

He looked at me so seriously, any evidense of smiling gone.

"I love you," he whispered. "Is that something you didn't know?"