Dead In Ditches

People call it a myth.

People call it a mystery.

People call it an abomination.

People call it treason.

I call it life.

The ditch. Its a strange thing, really. Its a small opening im the ground, back in the woods. Nobody bothers to fill it in anymore. Why? Because then it's a possible that they're next.

Once a year, that ditch holds a corpse. Some don't believe, some do. Some accept the fact that they could be the next victim, some don't.

Kids tell stories and spread rumors about that ditch, laughing and joking. But deep inside, they wonder who's next. Mom? Dad? Cousin? It's always a mystery.

I guess when I heard about Tristan's body, I was shocked. Out of everyone in town, why him? He was so...normal. It's hard to imagine someone you know. There one day, gone the next. It's a wake up call, one that I honestly didn't need.

We live in a small town called Wolf Valley. They call it Wolf Valley because of the werewolves. Everyone knows they're out there. They could be living in the town, in the woods, anywhere. Its scary, knowing you could be talking to one as you smile at a neighbor. Or as you say hi to a relative.

Children. Teenagers. Adults. Seniors.

They all know about the ditch. They all know what itcan do to you. Tear you apart. People here in Wolf Valley go mad.

Anger.

Confusion.

Cowardice.

It's there in everyone. Only some people cover it better than others.

That's the secret here in Wolf Valley.

Covering your feelings.