This Is The World We Live In

This is the world we live in- The world where men with swords, the so-called warriors are revered and glorified. Their statues erected at every corner. Their tales told in stories and textbooks so that the future generations can remember that killing is a way of life.

This is the world we live in- The world that gifts you tear stains that never really leave your cheeks and you start to think that it wasn't salt water that rolled down but concentrated acid that has scarred your face to the point where you can look beyond your face and see the soul beneath.

This is the world we live in- The world where children unfortunately know the meaning of words like murders, rapes, guns, bombs and swords and parents don't see what's wrong with that. Or if they do, they feel that that their children shouldn't live in a fantasy world where everyone's good. They feel the need and rightly so, to keep them informed about reality and Stranger Danger warnings.

This is the world we live in- The world where people need permission and visas just to set foot on a piece of land other than the one they were born in. We humans have taken over even the earth. Like children sharing a school desk, we have drawn lines over it, using borders instead of chalk, saying "This belongs to you, this belongs to me. Don't cross the line."

This is the world we live in- The world where love is made behind closed doors and wars are waged openly, proudly over lands and seas.

This is the world we live in- But is this the world we deserve?

This is the world where people kill each other because they believe in a different god or don't believe in any god.

This is the world where people kill each other because they fell in love with the person of the wrong religion.

This is the world where people kill each other. Forget the because.

For there are a million becauses as to why humans kill each other, as to why humans hate each other.

And there are also a million becauses as to why humans save each other, as to why humans love each other.

And that's what my soul wants to focus on. Forever. It makes me stay away from newspapers dripping with hatred and pulls me toward books drenched in fairy tale endings.

Ignorance is bliss, they say.

But you can only stare at the light for so long before the darkness ascends.

And in those moments, when the darkness is all around you, when it's ready to consume you that I want you to look for the moon, for the stars.

I want you to rock climb out of the darkness using the stars as support.

And who am I to tell you this? A nobody. A pathetic facsimile of a human.

But I am a raging volcano inside a firefly.

Do not mistake this voice as weak because that's just this body. Souls speak louder than any man and they can deafen you if you hear too closely, they can make you insane.

My soul doesn't shut up. It says children don't need to be taught to stay away from hatred. They really don't. They just need to be told that a world without hatred exists.

That it can exist if you really, really look for it. Kids are young and they love finding things. So let them, okay?

There are days that my soul wants to spit at this world because it's filthy. There are days that my soul wants to hug each and every soul because it's beautiful.

Do not mistake this for hubris because it is anything but that.

Because there are days my soul feels inferior even to a mosquito. And then there are days that my soul feels superior to the entire universe.

But it's not hubris, trust me it's not. These are the ramblings of an indecisive, lost soul.

That's all.

Would you, would you be surprised if I tell you that the world is anything but broken?

Because the world is really, really not broken.

The proof are words by some lovely souls. Words like "It is ok to doubt what you have been taught to believe."

Words like "We live in the jar and think the lid's the sky."

Like "I have no country to fight for. My country is the earth. I am a citizen of the world."

Like "Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed by the masses."

Need more proof?

I have witnessed kids who cry because they saw someone else cry.

I have witnessed people who feel like they've committed a murder if they accidentally step on someone's feet.

I have witnessed love.

I have witnessed people.

And these sights, these moments are the very times when my soul proudly says- "This, this is the world we live in."

✩★✩★