Chapter 1

"Too alarming now
to talk it out, Take your pictures down and shake it out."

Gotham City
December 15, 22:30 EST

Then...

Barbara waited. She always did. The cold winter air made her face flush and her nose crimson.  She huffed out a puff of air, white mist exited her mouth.

She glanced at her watch on her wrist. Late again. She thought as she strained her neck, glancing around for her commissioner father.

"Barb!" A voice yelled. She craned her neck to see her father running toward her in an unfashionable manner.

Her father slowed to a jog as he reached the bench currently she sat on.

"Barb, I'm sorry I can't stay long, there's been a security breach in the bank. I'm sorry I know how much this dinner meant to you." Her father said.

Barbara sighed, "It was expected, which is why I asked my friends to come pick me up, go help your fellow officers." She lied through her teeth, acting as if this whole ordeal didn't bother her. She'd been through this since her mother left them.

James Gordon smiled kindly at his daughter, "I'm a lucky father to have you as my understanding daughter."

Barbara smiled, "Okay, okay, enough of the mush, don't you have somebody to catch?"

Her father nodded, "Yes, I love you Barb!" He yelled as he began running the other way, away from Barbara's figure.

Barbara sighed, "Just like last year, and the year before that."

She merely hailed a cab, asking to be taken to her apartment. Her mind wondered as they passed several buildings, one in particular caught her eye. Of course it always did.

Wayne Enterprises. Office of Billionaire Bruce Wayne. Famous for "engineering the future" so their motto stated.

Barbara felt a warm, fuzzy feeling grip her heart. Her mind went to a certain blue-eyed, black haired boy, the adopted heir.

She shook her head, getting back to reality. She quickly payed the cabbie and went to her apartment.

The warmth flowed over her body as she entered. She sighed in relief.

She turned on the TV and switched the channel to the news station, all while gathering her things for her job.

"GCPD is currently on move as they chase an armed gunman and his accomplice down Central Ave."

Barbara rolled her eyes, tugging off her coat and other belongings, changing into her suit.

She turned off the TV. Opening her window from the fire escape, she smiled. Her green eyes sparkled brightly and a small glint of excitement was seen within the hues.

"Lets get this show on the road."

-Linebreak-

The one thing Barbara loved the most about crimefighting, was the rush. The feeling she'd get when challenged by someone, or the wind rapidly echoing in her ears.

Her mask covered her face, it kept her enemies from discovering her identity. Of course there were a selective few who could piece together her identity, but she often had them knocked out before they could.

She shot a grapple hook on a nearby building, timing her leap with the get-away car.

The building disappeared beneath her feet, only the sound of air whirling past her ears. The thud of her boots hitting the roof of the car made her smirk. After all, this was often the fun part, for her at least.