Chapter 5

I woke up to the sound of Bryan on the phone in the living room.

"No...he's not up yet....I'm not sure if he wants to talk to you....Alex please....he-..I'll tell him to call you back then, okay?...okay bye." He sighed heavily and lightly knocked on my door. I groaned to let him know I'm conscious and he walked in.

"What?" I asked.

"Alex just called. She sounded like she was pretty upset and she wants you to call her back." He said. I rolled my eyes and sat up. He closed my door and I grabbed my phone and dialed her number. She picked up at the third ring.

"Hello?" She answered. She sounded like she'd been crying.

"Hey, it's Johnnie. Are you alright?" I asked her, half worried and half not really caring.

"Yeah, I'm fine. I just needed to talk to you about something." She told me, sniffling.

"And what is that?" I asked.

"Do you remember when you asked me out?" She asked. I sighed. It was so long ago.

"Yeah, what about it?"

"I wanted to let you know that was the best day of my life. And every day leading up to the day you left me were such beautiful days that I will cherish into my afterlife." She said, sounding choked up.

"That's a long time from now." I said. She laughed.

"Its closer than you think, Johnnie. In 10 years, 100 years, no one will remember me or what I've done or who I am. It'd be like I didn't even exist. What good am I doing here? How am I helping anyone besides myself? I'm selfish. And I don't need this." She said.

"If you need to think about yourself to make you happy, then you do that. No one will remember you, me, Bryan, or anyone for that matter in 10 or 100 years. We're just kids of war and peace looking for our place. I'll remember you. I'll never forget you." I told her.

"Thank you for making me feel more special than I am." She said, then the phone dropped and I heard screaming on the other line. Panicked screams and the shower running, the sound of gagging and crying. It was too much for me to handle so I hung up, and stared at my blank white walls in utter and complete shock. Then, I screamed. Bryan burst into my room, worried.

"What? What happened?" He asked. I rocked back and forth on my bed.

"Bryan. She's not okay. I'm not okay. You need to call her, call the police. You need to do something. Don't just stand there! Do something! Anything! Save her! I can't do it!" I yelled, beginning to cry a little. He ran out and in a panic dialed someone. Then my phone buzzed.

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have done this. You probably hate me now, but that's alright. I hate me too." It was from Alex. I wiped tears from my eyes and sighed. She's alright.

"Stay strong, love." I replied.

Then it hit me. My feelings were 100% real right then. Of course I can't prove them, but I felt it.

And I hated it.