Chapter Three

🔺the jeep

*Mara*

  "Who was that?" I asked as Travis sped through another light.

  "Who, Cindy?" Travis asked, "She's a friend."

  "Ok," I mumbled gripping the seat belt. "Where are we going?"

  "To see a friend of mine." he said, "Shit, hang on."

  "Holy Crap," I yelped as the jeep left the ground. "Please, don't kill us."

  "I'm not going to kill us," Travis chuckled. "I've been doing this since before I had my license."

  "We're here," Travis says jumping out of the Jeep and walking over to my side.

  "Finally," I sigh jumping down and follow Travis into the building.

  "HEY, IS ANYONE HERE?!" Travis yelled as we walked in. "Let's check the back."

  "What are you doing here Travis?" a familiar voice says and I glance around Travis.

  "Need some help," Travis shrugged. "This is..."

  "Mara?" Eddie said confused when he noticed me behind Travis.

  "You know him?" Travis asked confused, "How dod you to know each other.

  "She helped save my cousin, Kylie." Eddie says walking towards a table, "How do you know her, Travis?"

  "Ex," Travis mumbled before getting to business. "Someone trying to kill her."

  "What?" Eddie exclaimed very loudly, "Explain, now."

  "Uh...I...Um...You see...Its..." I stuttered.

  "Mara!" Eddie and Travis yelled.

  "Sorry," I mumbled. "I was run off the road two weeks ago and ever since then I've been getting threatening notes and text. I think its Jay who's after me."

  "Should have killed that boy," Eddie mumbled typing on a laptop. "Travis do you think you could take her to the safe house?"

  "Yeah, sur..." Travis starts.

  "NO!" I yelled scaring both of the boys, "I'm not going to a safe house or into hiding. Dani is just now trusting me, I'm not going to let him or anyone else ruin that for me."

  "Mara," Eddie says.

  "Please don't make me hurt her again." I whimper scared.

  "No ones going to make you hurt her." Travis says, "I have a cabin not far from town. I can take you there."

  "Really?" I ask worried.

  "Yeah," Travis says.

  "You have to tell Zane what's going on." Eddie says walking over to a cabinet, "Since his Dani father. And Mara if anyone gets hurt I will make your life a living hell."

   "Yes," I squeak scared and watch as Eddie and Travis talk for a minutes before we leave.

*Travis*

  "Trying to give her a heart attack," I chuckle at Eddie after Mara squeaks and walks over to the door.

  Eddie just rolls his eyes, "Take this."

  "I'm not coming back, Eddie." I grumble when he hands me my old badge and gun.

  "I know, but this way if something bad happens and the cops are involved you can get out of answering too many question." Eddie shrugs. I growl and storm out of the building with Mara running behind me.

  "How do you know Eddie?" she asked breaking the awkward silence.

  "I used to work for him." I growled speeding out town.

   "Oh, ok." she mumbled. I glanced over at her and noticed she had her eyes closed and I noticed how pale she was.

  "I'll keep you safe." I whispered and I remembered the last time I made that same promise to her.

----------FlashBack----------

 "Dude, check out the freak siblings." Sam chuckled nodding at Marissa and Danny Sanders [a/n I'm not sure if I put Mara's last name. If I did let me know.]

  "Sam," I sighed as I glanced at them. "Must you call them that."

  "Yeah," he huffed. "I mean she's always covered in bruises and cuts. And they're weird looking."

  "Hey bro," Sam said as we headed to are bikes. "Wanna go to the party at the creek?"

  "Sounds like fun," I chuckled before I heard someone cry out. "I'll catch up in a minute, left something in me locker."

  "Cool, see ya at home." Sam laughed and took off on his bike.

  I kept hearing someone crying and mumbling so I followed where the sound was coming from and saw a man standing over a girl.

  "Your just like her," the man slurred kicking the girl in the gut. "A slut, so your going to be treated like one."

  "I wouldn't do that if I were you." I growled shoving the man away before he could hit her again. The man smacked his head on the wall and collapsed unconscious.

  "Why did you do that?" the girl whispered.

  "Because he was beating you," I say bending down to her level. "I'm guessing he's why your always cover in bruises."

  "Why do you care?" she snaps.

  "No man should ever hit a woman," I shrugged helping her up. "Have you ever told anyone about that."

  "Called the cops once," she stumbled. "But they just let him go and I almost die when he came home."

  "Does your mom try to stop him?" I ask.

  "No," she laughed bitterly. "She left when I was little. Therefore nobody can stop him."

  "I'll keep you safe," I said and she looked at me skeptical, "I promise." And from that day on I kept her and her brother safe, until the day she left.

----------FlashBack Over----------

  After we got to the cabin I carried Mara inside and laid her on the bed, before going through the file Eddie gave me. Its going to be a long night...